AOL Slurps Up TechCrunch
ADOTAS – At TechCrunch Disrupt, founder and tech media maven Michael Arrington just invited his new overlord, AOL CEO Tim Armstrong on stage and announced that it was official: AOL had acquired the mightiest of tech sites. Arrington fell to his knees and said in a throaty voice, “I shall do thy bidding, master,” while Armstrong softly chuckled from within his black robe.
OK, maybe it didn’t happen like that, but yeah, TechCrunch is now a piece of the AOL empire after it failed to conquer the blog twice before. Signing the agreement on stage for all the world to see, Arrington told the crowd at Disrupt that they pushed up the acquisition date after word leaked.
SAI is reporting the price tag was a low $25 million, two and a half times what Arrington estimated TechCrunch revenue at in a recent narrative piece for INC magazine and far lower than the sixfold average for Internet brands. However, SAI admitted the $25 million may only be a down payment.
TechCrunch will now enjoy the company of AOL tech sites Engadget (which, SAI notes, is getting killed by its chief independent competitor, Gizmodo), TUAW and Switched. Arrington, the persona most associate with TechCrunch, is sticking around (he can’t depart his bat-cave — the light, it burns!) and Armstrong promised a hands-off approach. Since its spinoff from Time Warner, revenue-hungry AOL has been counting on content to drive display ad dollars back its way.
Quentin Hardy at Forbes comments that while the sale makes sense for both parties, Arrington is tired (I’m surprised he hasn’t fully burnt out considering his work regimen) and is unlikely to be as “relentless” as he was in the past. It was that relentlessness that attracted readers to TechCrunch and made him a tech media star. If that fire is fading, will TechCrunch’s readership — and advertisers — fade with it?
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Kitara Media Appoints Chris Magdelinskas as Chief Technology Officer
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom
- PointRoll’s Social Engager Leverages Multi-Source Data to Alter Creative on the Fly for Mobile Facebook & Twitter Users
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence
- Kitara Media Appoints Chris Magdelinskas as Chief Technology Officer March 11th 2014 JERSEY CITY, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Kitara Media Corp. [...] more »
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media March 10th 2014 KANSAS CITY, Mo. and LOS ANGELES, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom March 10th 2014 ADOTAS – This past Friday, Advertising Age reported that Omnicom [...] more »
- PointRoll’s Social Engager Leverages Multi-Source Data to Alter Creative on the Fly for Mobile Facebook & Twitter Users March 10th 2014 AUSTIN, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Advertisers can engage prospective [...] more »
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence March 10th 2014 NEW YORK, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Bitly, the company [...] more »
- RadiumOne Appoints New CFO As Rapid Growth Continues March 10th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 9, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RadiumOne, the leading global [...] more »
- Blue Calypso’s DashTAGG Chosen as ad:tech San Francisco Official Mobile Gamification Platform March 10th 2014 DALLAS, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Blue Calypso, Inc. (OTCBB:BCYP), [...] more »
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Tech Companies Must Improve EncryptionThe (Important) SXSW Panels You Missed, Explained by CartoonsToday’s Burning
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Live Video: Edward Snowden at SXSWSheryl Sandberg Teams Up With Beyonce to Ban
- Finding Your Brand Advocates, Are You Ready for Super Bowl Sunday? - Inside CXM: [...] Theresa Trevor, Adotas, offers 5 simple rules to motivate brand advocates: [...]
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen | Isupon: [...] ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy growth in the use