AOL Slurps Up TechCrunch
ADOTAS – At TechCrunch Disrupt, founder and tech media maven Michael Arrington just invited his new overlord, AOL CEO Tim Armstrong on stage and announced that it was official: AOL had acquired the mightiest of tech sites. Arrington fell to his knees and said in a throaty voice, “I shall do thy bidding, master,” while Armstrong softly chuckled from within his black robe.
OK, maybe it didn’t happen like that, but yeah, TechCrunch is now a piece of the AOL empire after it failed to conquer the blog twice before. Signing the agreement on stage for all the world to see, Arrington told the crowd at Disrupt that they pushed up the acquisition date after word leaked.
SAI is reporting the price tag was a low $25 million, two and a half times what Arrington estimated TechCrunch revenue at in a recent narrative piece for INC magazine and far lower than the sixfold average for Internet brands. However, SAI admitted the $25 million may only be a down payment.
TechCrunch will now enjoy the company of AOL tech sites Engadget (which, SAI notes, is getting killed by its chief independent competitor, Gizmodo), TUAW and Switched. Arrington, the persona most associate with TechCrunch, is sticking around (he can’t depart his bat-cave — the light, it burns!) and Armstrong promised a hands-off approach. Since its spinoff from Time Warner, revenue-hungry AOL has been counting on content to drive display ad dollars back its way.
Quentin Hardy at Forbes comments that while the sale makes sense for both parties, Arrington is tired (I’m surprised he hasn’t fully burnt out considering his work regimen) and is unlikely to be as “relentless” as he was in the past. It was that relentlessness that attracted readers to TechCrunch and made him a tech media star. If that fire is fading, will TechCrunch’s readership — and advertisers — fade with it?
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program December 6th 2013 ADOTAS – Twitter brought its tailored audiences ad program out [...] more »
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising December 6th 2013 ADOTAS — Video marketing company veeseo announced this week a [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’re featuring reactions from industry leaders to yesterday’s [...] more »
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack December 5th 2013 ADOTAS — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports [...] more »
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – While holiday shoppers have been conditioned to believe [...] more »
- Digital First Ventures, RealMatch Partner to Power JobsInTheUS.com December 5th 2013 NEW YORK, December 5, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Digital First Ventures, [...] more »
- Celtra Hires Ex-Adobe Exec Taplin as EVP of Global Sales December 5th 2013 CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – December 5, 2013 – Celtra Inc., the industry leader [...] more »
- Making Holiday Marketing Magic in 2013 December 6th 2013
- 5 New Video Ads You Should Watch Right Now December 6th 2013
- How Interactive Video is Helping Brands Engage with Their Customers December 5th 2013
- Is Putting Digital First Still Paramount for Advertisers? December 5th 2013
- Revenge of the Data Nerds: Who Will Be the Next Heartthrob of the B2B Data Market? December 4th 2013
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- Social Media Manager (Part-Time)
- Social Media Manager
- Audience Development Manager
- Text Marketing News December 6, 2013 | Text Marketing Companies: [...] veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video … – ADOTAS [...]
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack: [...] — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports of the latest major cyberattack,
- Zimmerman Advertising Has What White Castle Craves – ADOTAS | Zimmerman News: [...] more here: Google Zimmerman News In [...]
- Online Video Quality Matters More Than You Think | Video Industry | OneScreen: [...] so. In fact, branded videos are getting shared 50 times more in 2013 than