360i Finds Brands Aren’t Using Twitter to Converse
ADOTAS – In the wonderfully titled piece “Twitter, Twitter, Little Stars” on the rising role of the corporate social media director, Bloomberg Businessweek’s Felix Gillette notes that in one day Ford’s Scott Monty — considered a field dynamo by peers — tweeted 38 times about Ford on his personal account in addition to 12 times on the Ford general account, eight on the customer-service account, two on the FordDriveGreen account and once on the FordMustang account.
While the sheer volume is impressive (even if it is only 140 characters a shot), what’s most notable is that the majority were not offers or publicity retweets — they were conversations, real back-and-forth with consumers on Twitter.
That’s something many brands and marketers are missing, according to a six-month study tracking Twitter usage by digital marketing agency 360i. While 43% of all consumer tweets represent conversations between, only 16% of marketing tweets are actual dialogue with consumers. Even worse, only 1% of consumer tweets are conversations with brands.
“Twitter is a platform dominated by the voice of the consumer and consisting primarily of two-way conversations — marketers can be doing so much more to participate fully in this two-way medium,” said Sarah Hofstetter, 360i’s senior vice president of Emerging Media & Brand Strategy. “The real value for marketers who participate on Twitter is in creating an ongoing dialogue with consumers that enables brands to become a more meaningful part of people’s everyday lives.”
However, three out of four marketing tweets are focused on news or broadcasting information (offers, discounts). On the other side, 12% of consumer tweets mention a brand by name, and 43% are passing on news while 35% are relating a recent experience with the brand. Interestingly, only 7% of brand mentions fall in the negative category and 11% are positive. The overwhelming majority at 82% is informational or neutral.
Thus, the opportunity for engagement seems real enough, and something that most brands are missing.
“Ultimately, [Twitter] is the most personal of all the social networks,” Monty tells Bloomberg Businessweek. “It’s one-on-one communication in the public square. It gives a person the satisfaction of having interaction with a big company like Ford and of being listened to. And it also shows the public that we’re listening and that we get it.”
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]