360i Finds Brands Aren’t Using Twitter to Converse
ADOTAS – In the wonderfully titled piece “Twitter, Twitter, Little Stars” on the rising role of the corporate social media director, Bloomberg Businessweek’s Felix Gillette notes that in one day Ford’s Scott Monty — considered a field dynamo by peers — tweeted 38 times about Ford on his personal account in addition to 12 times on the Ford general account, eight on the customer-service account, two on the FordDriveGreen account and once on the FordMustang account.
While the sheer volume is impressive (even if it is only 140 characters a shot), what’s most notable is that the majority were not offers or publicity retweets — they were conversations, real back-and-forth with consumers on Twitter.
That’s something many brands and marketers are missing, according to a six-month study tracking Twitter usage by digital marketing agency 360i. While 43% of all consumer tweets represent conversations between, only 16% of marketing tweets are actual dialogue with consumers. Even worse, only 1% of consumer tweets are conversations with brands.
“Twitter is a platform dominated by the voice of the consumer and consisting primarily of two-way conversations — marketers can be doing so much more to participate fully in this two-way medium,” said Sarah Hofstetter, 360i’s senior vice president of Emerging Media & Brand Strategy. “The real value for marketers who participate on Twitter is in creating an ongoing dialogue with consumers that enables brands to become a more meaningful part of people’s everyday lives.”
However, three out of four marketing tweets are focused on news or broadcasting information (offers, discounts). On the other side, 12% of consumer tweets mention a brand by name, and 43% are passing on news while 35% are relating a recent experience with the brand. Interestingly, only 7% of brand mentions fall in the negative category and 11% are positive. The overwhelming majority at 82% is informational or neutral.
Thus, the opportunity for engagement seems real enough, and something that most brands are missing.
“Ultimately, [Twitter] is the most personal of all the social networks,” Monty tells Bloomberg Businessweek. “It’s one-on-one communication in the public square. It gives a person the satisfaction of having interaction with a big company like Ford and of being listened to. And it also shows the public that we’re listening and that we get it.”
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Scripps Acquires Newsy for $35 Million
- Industry Veteran Simon Hayhurst Joins Rocket Fuel as SVP of Product and Business Development
- New Searchmetrics Solution Restores Keyword ‘Not Provided’ Data Taken Away by Google
- Survey: Facebook is the Most Trusted Review Platform Over Pinterest, Youtube and Twitter
- Bazaarvoice Introduces Authentic Reviews Trust Mark to Help #EndFakeReviews
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- Scripps Acquires Newsy for $35 Million December 9th 2013 CINCINNATI, December 9, 2013 (ADOTAS) – The E.W. Scripps Company [...] more »
- Industry Veteran Simon Hayhurst Joins Rocket Fuel as SVP of Product and Business Development December 9th 2013 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., December 9, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Rocket Fuel Inc., [...] more »
- New Searchmetrics Solution Restores Keyword ‘Not Provided’ Data Taken Away by Google December 9th 2013 NEW YORK, December 9, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Searchmetrics has [...] more »
- Survey: Facebook is the Most Trusted Review Platform Over Pinterest, Youtube and Twitter December 9th 2013 NEW YORK, December 9, 2013 (ADOTAS) — A new [...] more »
- Bazaarvoice Introduces Authentic Reviews Trust Mark to Help #EndFakeReviews December 9th 2013 AUSTIN, Texas, December 9, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Bazaarvoice, Inc. (NASDAQ:BV), [...] more »
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program December 6th 2013 ADOTAS – Twitter brought its tailored audiences ad program out [...] more »
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising December 6th 2013 ADOTAS — Video marketing company veeseo announced this week a [...] more »
- Media Consolidation Is Revolutionizing Marketing December 9th 2013
- Google’s Disavow Tool: The What, Why and How December 9th 2013
- Making Holiday Marketing Magic in 2013 December 6th 2013
- 5 New Video Ads You Should Watch Right Now December 6th 2013
- How Interactive Video is Helping Brands Engage with Their Customers December 5th 2013
- Manager Planner - Digital Vendor Marketing
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- Social Media Manager (Part-Time)
- Social Media Manager
- Text Marketing News December 6, 2013 | Text Marketing Companies: [...] veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video … – ADOTAS [...]
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack: [...] — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports of the latest major cyberattack,
- Zimmerman Advertising Has What White Castle Craves – ADOTAS | Zimmerman News: [...] more here: Google Zimmerman News In [...]
- Online Video Quality Matters More Than You Think | Video Industry | OneScreen: [...] so. In fact, branded videos are getting shared 50 times more in 2013 than