Smartphone Takeover Is Imminent

0
603

mobiletv.jpgADOTAS – Although feature phone traffic increased by 31% year over year according to AdMob’s mobile metrics for February, market share slid from 58% to 35%. Smartphones, on the other hand, increased their share from 35% to 48% year over year, while traffic increased by 193%.

According to Coda Research Consultancy this is only the beginning. In 2014, smartphone traffic will make up 98% of all mobile handset traffic, leaving feature phones with a 2% share.

With a compound annual growth rate of 117%, U.S. mobile handset data traffic will increase from 8 petabytes (that’s 1,00 terabytes) month in 2010 to 327 petabytes per month in 2015. Excluding SMS charges, 87% of carriers’ data revenue will be from mobile.

Video is going to be the big data consumer, as Coda estimates that in five years 95 million out of 158 million U.S. mobile users will be ogling vids on their handsets by 2015. An estimated 68.5% of data usage in the U.S. will be from video.

Nielsen sees smartphone domination even sooner — although 21% of wireless subscribers in the fourth quarter of 2009 were smartphone users, Nielsen believes penetration will skyrocket in 2010 and smartphones will outnumber feature phones by the third quarter of 2011.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here