Windows Mobile’s Got a New Name, New Game
ADOTAS – I can smirk a bit that the weather report in Barcelona, Spain — where the Mobile World Conference is taking place right now — is only nominally nicer than here in New York. Across the pond they’re apparently beset by clouds and rain, similar to here only we’re a bit colder.
Then again, I doubt conference attendees would be spending much time outside if it was hot and sunny considering all the gadgets and doodads waiting in the auditorium. HTC, for instance, has already unveiled three new phones, one of which is being considered the souped-up Nexus One (HTC manufactures the hardware for Google’s phone).
But also trying to make a splash in the mobile scene would be Microsoft with its latest incarnation of Windows Mobile — except it’s no longer Windows Mobile, but Windows Phone.
The 7 series has a completely reworked interface that bares no resemblance to past Windows Mobile versions. TechCrunch’s Greg Kumparak got a chance to play around with it and called it Zune-esque (wait, is that a good thing?) and the Zune brand will be used for music and video content. The gaming content will hook into Microsoft’s Xbox Live network. In addition, the phone will link to an app marketplace and feature functions from the beloved Office software.
The unveiling is a bit of a tease considering that Windows Phone won’t appear for the consumer until the 2010 holiday season, but Microsoft already has several hardware partners, including Dell, Garmin-Asus, LG, Samsung, Sony Ericsson and Hewlett-Packard.
But Microsoft is being very strict about manufacturer specs and will not let hardware developers make large modifications, unlike Android. That sounds like a mistake — Android has a distinct advantage in its flexibility. While the iPhone OS is also pretty rigid, Apple makes its own hardware.
According to AdMob, Windows Mobile’s market share of devices fell from 8% to 2% last year. Android has certainly gained favor as the iPhone alternative — will Windows Phone reverse Microsoft’s mobile fortunes, or is this revamp too little, too late?
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Infographic: Adobe By The Numbers
- Marketo Signs Definitive Agreement to Acquire Insightera, Extending Leadership in Multi-Channel Relationship Marketing
- Rakuten MediaForge Chooses LiveRamp To Bridge Gap Between Customer Databases and Online Marketing for Brands
- VisualDNA Integrates with Adap.tv, Advertising.com, DataXu, Krux & Rocket Fuel
- Simpli.fi Closes $16MM Round of Series B Funding
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- Infographic: Adobe By The Numbers December 12th 2013 ADOTAS – Adobe just announced results for its fiscal year that [...] more »
- Marketo Signs Definitive Agreement to Acquire Insightera, Extending Leadership in Multi-Channel Relationship Marketing December 12th 2013 SAN MATEO, Calif., December 12, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Marketo , provider [...] more »
- Rakuten MediaForge Chooses LiveRamp To Bridge Gap Between Customer Databases and Online Marketing for Brands December 12th 2013 SALT LAKE CITY, December 12, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Online marketers [...] more »
- VisualDNA Integrates with Adap.tv, Advertising.com, DataXu, Krux & Rocket Fuel December 12th 2013 LONDON, December 12, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Audience insights company VisualDNA [...] more »
- Simpli.fi Closes $16MM Round of Series B Funding December 12th 2013 FORT WORTH, TX., December 12, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Simpli.fi, an [...] more »
- MyCityWay Partners with USA TODAY to Launch Vegas-Themed App December 12th 2013 NEW YORK and MCLEAN, VA., December 12, 2013 (ADOTAS) – [...] more »
- Study: Dispop Trumps Google Display Advertising in Side-By-Side Comparison December 11th 2013 ADOTAS – Lest we forget, Google is an advertising company [...] more »
- Infographic: B2B Content Tug of War December 12th 2013
- 5 Mobile Strategies to Make Marketers Merry During the Holidays … and Beyond December 12th 2013
- Gone In 10 Seconds: How the Pioneers of Snapchat Marketing Use the App to Build Their Brand December 12th 2013
- SPECIAL REPORT: Ad Fraud and the Anatomy of a Botnet December 11th 2013
- Survey: Effective Content Marketing Requires 10 or More Posts a Day December 10th 2013
- Digital Media Specialist - Video
- Mgr Channel Planning (Social Media)
- SEO/SEM Analyst
- Manager Planner - Digital Vendor Marketing
- Brand Manager
- Stephen: Your new autoplay video commercials are REALLY annoying. It means I cannot leave your story
- Why Social Media Will Live Past their “Expiry Dates”: [...] in social media stock prices. In May 2012, Facebook reported a $35 billion loss
- Chris Zaharias: Very interesting data. All respect due to Google for having built and scaled tools for
- Dick Bennett CEO: Richard, I (and my company)have been on this scene for years. We performed the initial