Windows Mobile’s Got a New Name, New Game
ADOTAS – I can smirk a bit that the weather report in Barcelona, Spain — where the Mobile World Conference is taking place right now — is only nominally nicer than here in New York. Across the pond they’re apparently beset by clouds and rain, similar to here only we’re a bit colder.
Then again, I doubt conference attendees would be spending much time outside if it was hot and sunny considering all the gadgets and doodads waiting in the auditorium. HTC, for instance, has already unveiled three new phones, one of which is being considered the souped-up Nexus One (HTC manufactures the hardware for Google’s phone).
But also trying to make a splash in the mobile scene would be Microsoft with its latest incarnation of Windows Mobile — except it’s no longer Windows Mobile, but Windows Phone.
The 7 series has a completely reworked interface that bares no resemblance to past Windows Mobile versions. TechCrunch’s Greg Kumparak got a chance to play around with it and called it Zune-esque (wait, is that a good thing?) and the Zune brand will be used for music and video content. The gaming content will hook into Microsoft’s Xbox Live network. In addition, the phone will link to an app marketplace and feature functions from the beloved Office software.
The unveiling is a bit of a tease considering that Windows Phone won’t appear for the consumer until the 2010 holiday season, but Microsoft already has several hardware partners, including Dell, Garmin-Asus, LG, Samsung, Sony Ericsson and Hewlett-Packard.
But Microsoft is being very strict about manufacturer specs and will not let hardware developers make large modifications, unlike Android. That sounds like a mistake — Android has a distinct advantage in its flexibility. While the iPhone OS is also pretty rigid, Apple makes its own hardware.
According to AdMob, Windows Mobile’s market share of devices fell from 8% to 2% last year. Android has certainly gained favor as the iPhone alternative — will Windows Phone reverse Microsoft’s mobile fortunes, or is this revamp too little, too late?
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Study: 1% of Advertisers Generate 80% of Clicks Across 10 Search Categories in US, UK and France
- Brainshark Launches Brainshark for Salesforce Work.com on Salesforce1 AppExchange
- MediaBrix Launches In-Game Ad SDK for Intel’s Latest Platform
- Fiverr® Updates iPhone App: Puts Over 3 Million Gigs® in the Palm of Your Hand
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum
- Study: 1% of Advertisers Generate 80% of Clicks Across 10 Search Categories in US, UK and France March 12th 2014 ROME, March 12, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Paid search advertising is [...] more »
- Brainshark Launches Brainshark for Salesforce Work.com on Salesforce1 AppExchange March 12th 2014 WALTHAM, Mass., March 12, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Brainshark, Inc., the [...] more »
- MediaBrix Launches In-Game Ad SDK for Intel’s Latest Platform March 12th 2014 NEW YORK, March 12, 2014 (ADOTAS) — MediaBrix, the leading [...] more »
- Fiverr® Updates iPhone App: Puts Over 3 Million Gigs® in the Palm of Your Hand March 12th 2014 NEW YORK, March 12, 2014 — Fiverr®, the world’s largest [...] more »
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum March 11th 2014 VANCOUVER, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Shahrzad Rafati, founder and CEO [...] more »
- Intent Media Hires Noted Travel Industry Exec Noreen Henry as VP of Business Development March 11th 2014 NEW YORK, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Intent Media, an [...] more »
- Ampush Appoints Rick Cotton as Chief Revenue Officer March 11th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Ampush, a leading [...] more »
- Big-Budget TV Ads Alone Aren’t Enough: Use Programmatic to Tell Your Brand Story March 12th 2014
- 5 Keys to Capitalizing on the Mobile Gaming Phenomenon March 11th 2014
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Courtesy to The Bellingham Business Journal | For Copywriters Only: [...] Fiverr® Updates iPhone App: Puts Fіnіѕhеԁ 3 Million Gigs® іn thе Palm οf Yουr
- Chris: I don't think BBTV drives success for online video creators by leveraging its proprietary technology
- Weekly RTB and Programmatic Marketing News from RTB Forums | My Blog / Website: [...] http://www.adotas.com/2014/03/sonobi-to-sponsor-premium-programmatic-event-in-nyc-next-week/ [...]
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Headlines Amazon Working on Music-Streaming ServiceThe Woman Who Scavenged SXSW For An iPadBroadbandTV