Windows Mobile’s Got a New Name, New Game
ADOTAS – I can smirk a bit that the weather report in Barcelona, Spain — where the Mobile World Conference is taking place right now — is only nominally nicer than here in New York. Across the pond they’re apparently beset by clouds and rain, similar to here only we’re a bit colder.
Then again, I doubt conference attendees would be spending much time outside if it was hot and sunny considering all the gadgets and doodads waiting in the auditorium. HTC, for instance, has already unveiled three new phones, one of which is being considered the souped-up Nexus One (HTC manufactures the hardware for Google’s phone).
But also trying to make a splash in the mobile scene would be Microsoft with its latest incarnation of Windows Mobile — except it’s no longer Windows Mobile, but Windows Phone.
The 7 series has a completely reworked interface that bares no resemblance to past Windows Mobile versions. TechCrunch’s Greg Kumparak got a chance to play around with it and called it Zune-esque (wait, is that a good thing?) and the Zune brand will be used for music and video content. The gaming content will hook into Microsoft’s Xbox Live network. In addition, the phone will link to an app marketplace and feature functions from the beloved Office software.
The unveiling is a bit of a tease considering that Windows Phone won’t appear for the consumer until the 2010 holiday season, but Microsoft already has several hardware partners, including Dell, Garmin-Asus, LG, Samsung, Sony Ericsson and Hewlett-Packard.
But Microsoft is being very strict about manufacturer specs and will not let hardware developers make large modifications, unlike Android. That sounds like a mistake — Android has a distinct advantage in its flexibility. While the iPhone OS is also pretty rigid, Apple makes its own hardware.
According to AdMob, Windows Mobile’s market share of devices fell from 8% to 2% last year. Android has certainly gained favor as the iPhone alternative — will Windows Phone reverse Microsoft’s mobile fortunes, or is this revamp too little, too late?
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]