Social Media and e-Commerce Go Hand in Hand
Applications like product reviews, recommendations and ratings are years old, and emerged as the most popular social media tools way before the term “social media” was actually coined. They enabled customers to find out what their peers were thinking, and provided valuable user data and feedback to the retailer which could be reviewed in “real-time.”
Retailers today continue to have a great opportunity to leverage social media in a way that’s both beneficial and effective for consumers and for themselves. And while it’s known that retailers are true pioneers in social media, the fact is that many still struggle with ways to fully integrate it with their e-commerce platforms.
Building a truly interactive social media community within an e-commerce platform is important as it creates a more efficient retail environment where customer opinions, relevant content and product information are freely distributed. It is only then that “social commerce” can happen.
To accomplish “social commerce,” retailers must be able to integrate social media elements, such as social networking features and user generated content platforms, directly into their commerce environments.
IBM is one technology provider that has responded to customers’ desires to have a more interactive online experience by creating a comprehensive social commerce platform. Utilizing tools provided by Pluck, IBM is now able to offer advanced “social commerce” capabilities to its current customers or prospects, thus enabling retailers to integrate the social experience seamlessly between online shopping and social networking communities like Facebook and MySpace.
As a result, retailers can create and own a unique social experience that encompasses the entire customer lifecycle — generating a positive outcome for the retailer, and for its customers. Customers can enjoy a more integrated shopping experience that stretches across their social networks, and retailers will start to see an increase in unique visitors that are predisposed to their messages. Ultimately, this will result in more streamlined marketing efforts and lower operational costs.
Instead of selling to nameless, faceless shoppers, retailers can build relationships with real customers by enabling them to establish user profiles that pull in data — and relationships — to retailer websites. Customers can then interact with other shoppers, join groups centered around product-related topics, rate and react to product content, contribute project journals and how-to content, and answer each others’ questions about products and use cases. The retailer, meanwhile, gains the opportunity to build a long-term relationship — and a “social CRM” practice — around these efforts.
As the online world continues to evolve and become more competitive, understanding how to merge e-commerce with social media is critical for retail success. “Social commerce” integrates new media, via user generated content platforms and social networking features, directly onto commerce sites. By building and maintaining vibrant communities that address the passion of the retailer’s core audience, and then spreading that passion to the larger social web, retailers will attract loyal and engaged customers, and will achieve better business results.
Your artical was very informative. I have been tasked with a new project which involves building a web strategy which combines ecommerce and social networking. We are a non-financial company who sells prepaid debit cards to the unbanked, and want to add a social media component. I am slightly overwhelmed by the information that’s available, and am having a difficult time finding sample strategies that I could use as a reference. If you could point me to some websites or resources, that would be great.
Great read, I think its right on….do you think incorporating social will help retailers this holiday season..?
Best example for “Social Media and e-Commerce Go Hand in Hand” is Facebook!!
Leave a Comment
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum March 11th 2014 VANCOUVER, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Shahrzad Rafati, founder and CEO [...] more »
- Intent Media Hires Noted Travel Industry Exec Noreen Henry as VP of Business Development March 11th 2014 NEW YORK, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Intent Media, an [...] more »
- Ampush Appoints Rick Cotton as Chief Revenue Officer March 11th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Ampush, a leading [...] more »
- Facebook Exchange Partner Perfect Audience Taps into Google Merchant Accounts for Retargeting March 11th 2014 ADOTAS – You may already know that Facebook Exchange (FBX) [...] more »
- Covario Names Jeff MacGurn Senior Vice President March 11th 2014 SAN DIEGO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) -– Covario, a leading independent [...] more »
- Kitara Media Appoints Chris Magdelinskas as Chief Technology Officer March 11th 2014 JERSEY CITY, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Kitara Media Corp. [...] more »
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media March 10th 2014 KANSAS CITY, Mo. and LOS ANGELES, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) [...] more »
- 5 Keys to Capitalizing on the Mobile Gaming Phenomenon March 11th 2014
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Fans Among Farmers, Filmmakers#Selfie Music Video Dominates With Help From Social Media InfluencersAdknowledge Acquires
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Tech Companies Must Improve EncryptionThe (Important) SXSW Panels You Missed, Explained by CartoonsToday’s Burning
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Live Video: Edward Snowden at SXSWSheryl Sandberg Teams Up With Beyonce to Ban
- Finding Your Brand Advocates, Are You Ready for Super Bowl Sunday? - Inside CXM: [...] Theresa Trevor, Adotas, offers 5 simple rules to motivate brand advocates: [...]