What You Talkin’ ’bout?
ADOTAS – Before the ball drops on New Year’s Eve, digital prognosticators have made an annual practice of claiming that this year — yes, this year — is the year when search engine optimization shuffles off this mortal coil and skips through the gates of Internet heaven.
Well, after years of these morbid premonitions, ADOTAS readers still aren’t buying that SEO is lying in its grave. Only 9% of poll respondents thought that the life support plug was half out of the outlet and 16% said it’s got a few years if its lucky.
However, an overwhelming 75% think SEO is going strong and that people have been claiming it was dead since it was born. Something tells me 2011 will also be the year that SEO bites the bullet. It’s definitely going to be gone by 2012 because according to the Mayans and Roland Emmerich, the world’s ending.
The comments section was chock full of kudos for the Commission Junction team in launching their latest operation, the multichannel affiliate network Impact Radius. Linda Woods was particularly effusive:
“I had a chance to see a demo of this last week and all I could say to Lisa Riolo was, ‘How can we wave a magic wand and get all our clients using this!’ It is a truly needed technology in the marketing world.
“I wonder how much time marketing execs and their managers spend logging into different platforms to retrieve different metrics from different kinds of marketing campaigns and then reassembling into massive spreadsheets for the higher ups to view, analyze and work from? A ridiculous amounts of time and headaches! This would put everything, and I mean everything, in one easy-to-use interface.”
Apple countered Google’s Nexus One launch by acquiring mobile ad network Quattro Wireless — both moves positioned the two as chief rivals in a fast-transforming arena. JR of A2a Media noted: “As use of mobile devices increases, advertisers are bound to change the way they think about their business. Online advertising will of course be affected as you note, but it’s likely that a variety of other advertising segments will also transform and even integrate with mobile devices.
“The digital out-of-home and digital signage fields for example, have been seeing increased interest in interactivity over the past year. It’s likely these segments will begin increasing work with consumers’ mobile devices to further interactivity with their target audiences and hard to reach consumers. As a result, the segments may see further consumer engagement and increased growth.”
I mined a good deal of content out of an illuminating conference with Federal Trade Commission Northeast Regional Director Leonard Gordon, who gave a great deal of insight into FTC positions regarding online privacy, affiliate marketing and blogger endorsement guidelines.
In terms of online privacy, Curt Doolittle commented: “The problem is that we neither trust the companies with that data, nor the government. A consumer can use the market to discredit a company, and cause it harm. But the government can abuse that information, abuse consumers, and then justify abuse of that private information in the context of whatever ‘crime’ it chooses to.”
In response to Tim Hawthorne’s thoughts on why display advertising is a poor medium for the message, Jeff wrote back: “If display advertising has to share success with other mediums (TV, Print, Outdoor, etc…) then so does organic and paid search and every other type of online or offline advertising. It has been proven that paid and organic search click through rates increase when coupled with an integrated advertising campaign that includes display and offline components.
“Truth be told, all mediums that are included in a campaign share in it’s overall success. In fact, today’s campaign benefits from yesterday’s campaign. Those who simplify metrics down to an individual keyword’s success and give it 100% of the credit are making assumptions that are skewed and inaccurate.”
Mark A. is not impressed by Twitter’s plans to roll out its own version of Facebook Connect: “Facebook Connect has become a standard with respect to authentication, I don’t see Twitter making any dent in the growth of Facebook Connect, they are just too late.”
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Survey: Effective Content Marketing Requires 10 or More Posts a Day
- Adobe: Digital Magazine Circulation, Engagement are On the Rise
- New Adchemy Software Puts Multiplier Effect On Keyword Search Campaign Revenue
- Exclusive: American Laser Skincare Taps Matomy as Agency of Record
- Unicorn Media’s Dynamic Ad Insertion Technology Enables Video Monetization on Twitter
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- Survey: Effective Content Marketing Requires 10 or More Posts a Day December 10th 2013 ADOTAS – Marketers all have different opinions about how much [...] more »
- Adobe: Digital Magazine Circulation, Engagement are On the Rise December 10th 2013 ADOTAS — Today, Adobe released data showing significant circulation growth [...] more »
- New Adchemy Software Puts Multiplier Effect On Keyword Search Campaign Revenue December 10th 2013 SEARCH INSIDER SUMMIT, PARK CITY, Utah, December 10, 2013 (ADOTAS) [...] more »
- Exclusive: American Laser Skincare Taps Matomy as Agency of Record December 10th 2013 ADOTAS – Today, American Laser Skincare, a large provider of laser [...] more »
- Unicorn Media’s Dynamic Ad Insertion Technology Enables Video Monetization on Twitter December 10th 2013 TEMPE, AZ, December 10, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Unicorn Media, the [...] more »
- Simulmedia Closes $25 Million D Round December 10th 2013 NEW YORK, December 10, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Simulmedia, a targeted [...] more »
- Fiverr® Launches iPhone App: Puts 3 Million Gigs® in the Palm of Your Hand December 10th 2013 NEW YORK, December 10, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Fiverr®, the world’s [...] more »
- SPECIAL REPORT: Ad Fraud and the Anatomy of a Botnet December 11th 2013
- Survey: Effective Content Marketing Requires 10 or More Posts a Day December 10th 2013
- Sharpen Your Marketing Strategy with Accountable Media December 10th 2013
- Female Game Players are Stealing TV Advertising Budgets December 10th 2013
- Media Consolidation Is Revolutionizing Marketing December 9th 2013
- Mgr Channel Planning (Social Media)
- SEO/SEM Analyst
- Manager Planner - Digital Vendor Marketing
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- IOne LocalZimmerman Advertising Has What White Castle Craves » IOne Local: [...] Castle. “They don’t just tackle our marketing problems; they help us continually improve ourbusiness. Zimmerman brought
- Sean Eisner: Ho Hum--hundreds of supposed review verification marks out there already, including UK-based "TrustMark" which sounds
- Exclusive: American Laser Skincare Taps Matomy as Agency of Record | MineralSpas.org: [...] Permalink [...]
- Michael Durwin: Another title for this article might be Advertisers Are Finding Better Engagements of Female Through