What You Talkin’ ’bout?
ADOTAS – Before the ball drops on New Year’s Eve, digital prognosticators have made an annual practice of claiming that this year — yes, this year — is the year when search engine optimization shuffles off this mortal coil and skips through the gates of Internet heaven.
Well, after years of these morbid premonitions, ADOTAS readers still aren’t buying that SEO is lying in its grave. Only 9% of poll respondents thought that the life support plug was half out of the outlet and 16% said it’s got a few years if its lucky.
However, an overwhelming 75% think SEO is going strong and that people have been claiming it was dead since it was born. Something tells me 2011 will also be the year that SEO bites the bullet. It’s definitely going to be gone by 2012 because according to the Mayans and Roland Emmerich, the world’s ending.
The comments section was chock full of kudos for the Commission Junction team in launching their latest operation, the multichannel affiliate network Impact Radius. Linda Woods was particularly effusive:
“I had a chance to see a demo of this last week and all I could say to Lisa Riolo was, ‘How can we wave a magic wand and get all our clients using this!’ It is a truly needed technology in the marketing world.
“I wonder how much time marketing execs and their managers spend logging into different platforms to retrieve different metrics from different kinds of marketing campaigns and then reassembling into massive spreadsheets for the higher ups to view, analyze and work from? A ridiculous amounts of time and headaches! This would put everything, and I mean everything, in one easy-to-use interface.”
Apple countered Google’s Nexus One launch by acquiring mobile ad network Quattro Wireless — both moves positioned the two as chief rivals in a fast-transforming arena. JR of A2a Media noted: “As use of mobile devices increases, advertisers are bound to change the way they think about their business. Online advertising will of course be affected as you note, but it’s likely that a variety of other advertising segments will also transform and even integrate with mobile devices.
“The digital out-of-home and digital signage fields for example, have been seeing increased interest in interactivity over the past year. It’s likely these segments will begin increasing work with consumers’ mobile devices to further interactivity with their target audiences and hard to reach consumers. As a result, the segments may see further consumer engagement and increased growth.”
I mined a good deal of content out of an illuminating conference with Federal Trade Commission Northeast Regional Director Leonard Gordon, who gave a great deal of insight into FTC positions regarding online privacy, affiliate marketing and blogger endorsement guidelines.
In terms of online privacy, Curt Doolittle commented: “The problem is that we neither trust the companies with that data, nor the government. A consumer can use the market to discredit a company, and cause it harm. But the government can abuse that information, abuse consumers, and then justify abuse of that private information in the context of whatever ‘crime’ it chooses to.”
In response to Tim Hawthorne’s thoughts on why display advertising is a poor medium for the message, Jeff wrote back: “If display advertising has to share success with other mediums (TV, Print, Outdoor, etc…) then so does organic and paid search and every other type of online or offline advertising. It has been proven that paid and organic search click through rates increase when coupled with an integrated advertising campaign that includes display and offline components.
“Truth be told, all mediums that are included in a campaign share in it’s overall success. In fact, today’s campaign benefits from yesterday’s campaign. Those who simplify metrics down to an individual keyword’s success and give it 100% of the credit are making assumptions that are skewed and inaccurate.”
Mark A. is not impressed by Twitter’s plans to roll out its own version of Facebook Connect: “Facebook Connect has become a standard with respect to authentication, I don’t see Twitter making any dent in the growth of Facebook Connect, they are just too late.”
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence
- RadiumOne Appoints New CFO As Rapid Growth Continues
- Blue Calypso’s DashTAGG Chosen as ad:tech San Francisco Official Mobile Gamification Platform
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence March 10th 2014 NEW YORK, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Bitly, the company [...] more »
- RadiumOne Appoints New CFO As Rapid Growth Continues March 10th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 9, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RadiumOne, the leading global [...] more »
- Blue Calypso’s DashTAGG Chosen as ad:tech San Francisco Official Mobile Gamification Platform March 10th 2014 DALLAS, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Blue Calypso, Inc. (OTCBB:BCYP), [...] more »
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Live Video: Edward Snowden at SXSWSheryl Sandberg Teams Up With Beyonce to Ban
- Finding Your Brand Advocates, Are You Ready for Super Bowl Sunday? - Inside CXM: [...] Theresa Trevor, Adotas, offers 5 simple rules to motivate brand advocates: [...]
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen | Isupon: [...] ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy growth in the use
- What You Need To Know To Get Ahead In Video Advertising | Setting the PACE: [...] results of new research into online video advertising in the form of this infographic,