The Perks of a Smooth Landing Page
ADOTAS – Every performance marketing campaign should be run through a simple yet effective (and rapid) landing page optimization routine. The reason for this is simple: conversion performance and revenue.
In our world of performance marketing, you only get paid for the results, so advertisers, publishers, and networks alike benefit when the landing page does its job.
While it may take a little extra time to get the page launched, a simple A/B split test may be the difference between 3% and 10% conversion, which if you have a lot of traffic, could mean a lot of revenue.
Here’s an example from our platform: Client A was getting ~5,000 clicks/day to their landing page and the traffic was only converting at 2.5%. Their average sales price is $35, which meant that they were seeing $4375 per day in revenue or an ePC (earnings/click) of $0.88.
Once we had designed a new landing page and A/B tested it (the one we designed was a better page), we brought the conversion up to 7.56%, or $13,230 per day — an increase of $8,855 per day, a new overall ePC of $2.65 for the campaign. The result, an additional $265,650 per month in revenue just based off the existing traffic!
The benefits are obvious if you are a smart advertiser looking to maximize the return from all your marketing activity.
Many publishers use the ePC measurement to determine how well one campaign is doing compared to a similar campaign. The higher the ePC, the more traffic the campaign will receive from the publisher. A great win-win scenario where both parties benefit.
Here are a few other supporting reasons why you should run every landing page through an optimization process:
Start competing on conversion rates, not payouts.
Most networks and advertisers try to compete on the highest payout thinking this is the best way to get publisher traffic. With highly optimized landing pages, you can perform better drive higher ePCs at a lower payout than competitors paying much more. This leads to greater ROI for both the advertiser and publisher.
You gain rapid marketshare. With simple optimization tools you learn a lot quicker. Gone are the days of lengthy A/B tests or multiple month multi-variate tests. With today’s tools like Google web optimizer, you can run an experiment in days (minimum traffic for a good split test is roughly 1,000 clicks on the landing page to declare a winner).
We have several clients that have seen conversion move into the double digits from the low single digits after just three days of traffic. I cannot overemphasize the speed by which you can see results if you are paying attention to the details of your landing page. All it takes is seeing this conversion lift once for a marketer to start swearing by optimization as a critical tool to ramping up revenue quickly.
You don’t waste time in development. Like today’s software development processes, agile development with landing pages is a more effective way to get to market. With optimization, you get a couple pages designed and test them right away so you can keep iterating on them to improve the results.
Gone are the days when you wait for the perfect design. If your network is doing their job, you’ll get the traffic and you can split test new designs each week to bring conversion up quickly. The ideal scenario is that your network partner can setup and run these tests for you and execute design changes on the fly so you worry about your business and the experts worry about your conversion. Remember, your network partner has a vested interest in your success!
You maximize your revenue and minimize your cost. By optimizing your site you get more from the traffic that comes to your site and you learn very quickly what your audience responds to. Not to mention that you minimize cost overhead by only building and designing what works and eliminating time spent on elements that don’t work.
Again, if you choose the right network, likely they will do a lot of this work for you for free if they feel the campaign will make everyone money — further minimizing your costs.
You learn how to target your audience more effectively. The intelligence you gather during the process of split testing a page is something every marketer should be paying attention to. With each design change you can visually see how your target prospect responds to marketing influencers such as copy, color, design, ease-of-use, etc.
You’ll also learn what types of traffic convert best for you. Does social media work better than email? If so, that will help you spend budget smarter in other parts of your media buy.
Great article Jivan!
Even though I made some good money last year for my first year in affiliate marketing. I know I have a long way to go. If feels like drive and motivation are not always what is needed to succeed!!!
Well put and I can’t wait to put an end to the “one landing page fits all the internet traffic” that still seems to be happening on campaigns in 2010! We’re excited about the upcoming roll out of more sophisticated automated optimization tools and features for both affiliates and advertisers to lift conversions and ROI!
Leave a Comment
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- Scripps Acquires Newsy for $35 Million December 9th 2013 CINCINNATI, December 9, 2013 (ADOTAS) – The E.W. Scripps Company [...] more »
- Industry Veteran Simon Hayhurst Joins Rocket Fuel as SVP of Product and Business Development December 9th 2013 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., December 9, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Rocket Fuel Inc., [...] more »
- New Searchmetrics Solution Restores Keyword ‘Not Provided’ Data Taken Away by Google December 9th 2013 NEW YORK, December 9, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Searchmetrics has [...] more »
- Survey: Facebook is the Most Trusted Review Platform Over Pinterest, Youtube and Twitter December 9th 2013 NEW YORK, December 9, 2013 (ADOTAS) — A new [...] more »
- Bazaarvoice Introduces Authentic Reviews Trust Mark to Help #EndFakeReviews December 9th 2013 AUSTIN, Texas, December 9, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Bazaarvoice, Inc. (NASDAQ:BV), [...] more »
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program December 6th 2013 ADOTAS – Twitter brought its tailored audiences ad program out [...] more »
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising December 6th 2013 ADOTAS — Video marketing company veeseo announced this week a [...] more »
- Media Consolidation Is Revolutionizing Marketing December 9th 2013
- Google’s Disavow Tool: The What, Why and How December 9th 2013
- Making Holiday Marketing Magic in 2013 December 6th 2013
- 5 New Video Ads You Should Watch Right Now December 6th 2013
- How Interactive Video is Helping Brands Engage with Their Customers December 5th 2013
- Mgr Channel Planning (Social Media)
- SEO/SEM Analyst
- Manager Planner - Digital Vendor Marketing
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- Text Marketing News December 6, 2013 | Text Marketing Companies: [...] veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video … – ADOTAS [...]
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack: [...] — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports of the latest major cyberattack,
- Zimmerman Advertising Has What White Castle Craves – ADOTAS | Zimmerman News: [...] more here: Google Zimmerman News In [...]
- Online Video Quality Matters More Than You Think | Video Industry | OneScreen: [...] so. In fact, branded videos are getting shared 50 times more in 2013 than