2010: The Year of Data
ADOTAS – This year saw data and audience targeting enter the mainstream conversation. This growing trend gave rise to increasingly noisy conversations about how that data is being used, whether it’s effective in improving the online experience, how to measure its effectiveness and whether its use violates online privacy or otherwise offends the online user.
Those in the industry have been active in resolving these issues and we expect them to be resolved in 2010. This shift will remove some of the endemic issues preventing a more rapid growth of targeted advertising, and if 2009 was spent talking about data, 2010 will be about using data.
The promise of data in creating personalized online experiences is evident by looking at a few prescient examples. Amazon.com is the first company to come to mind with its success in tailoring the online shopping experience with data on customers’ buying preferences.
Tacoda and Blue Lithium, two pioneers of the use of behavioral data, proved their value through more successful advertising and were picked up by AOL and Yahoo respectively. Google bought DoubleClick and has since launched its “Interest-Based Advertising” platform (GOOG for behavioral advertising). Now we’re seeing the blossoming of the DSPs, or “demand side platforms.”
These players are all focused on using data to optimize impressions based on…. you guessed it… Data!
Google recently bought Teracent, but the rest are largely independent. Players reading like a list of post-grad math competition team names like DataXu, MediaMath, AppNexus, Triggit and Aggregate Knowledge have all decided that someone needs to figure out how to use all this data.
At the same time, new companies are hitting the market to focus on the measurement and attribution of online advertising, while protecting user privacy. comScore has been doing a significant amount of work in this regard, and I just talked to the CEO of VisualIQ, a company that is building a platform to give marketers a holistic view of what happened in a campaign — across ALL campaigns.
Add companies to the mix like The Better Advertising Project which has been founded to expose and protect user privacy online, and the industry looks poised for explosive growth in 2010.
So the conversations are ongoing and the platforms are hitting the market to take real advantage of the data. Enter Bizo.
Data is what we do at Bizo. We collect raw business information and transform it into bizographics, business demographics (like industry, company size and geography) that are used for audience targeting, collected anonymously — with full transparency to the user.
Today we’re seeing success in the use of bizographics for targeting on our ad network of endemic B2B sites, and our partners such as interCLICK, Collective Media, AOL and Turn are seeing success using bizographics for B2B targeting across their networks, effectively opening the market for business targeting on consumer networks for the first time.
We predict that 2010 will be the year of data. We predict that we — as an industry — will work through the online privacy issues, begin to see real transparency and move forward with significant data-driven innovation.
We expect to see even more smart uses of data, with online content providers of all stripes taking similar steps to put data to work in ways that make sense.
Using very specific but safe and anonymous data points in real-time as audiences traverse the Web will deliver on the true promise of the Internet: all of the ads and content a user sees on the Web should be tailored for a highly personal experience, like on Amazon.com, and ultimately interactive and even predictive. It should be a fun year!
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Big-Budget TV Ads Alone Aren’t Enough: Use Programmatic to Tell Your Brand Story
- 5 Keys to Capitalizing on the Mobile Gaming Phenomenon
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me!
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss
- Study: 1% of Advertisers Generate 80% of Clicks Across 10 Search Categories in US, UK and France March 12th 2014 ROME, March 12, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Paid search advertising is [...] more »
- Brainshark Launches Brainshark for Salesforce Work.com on Salesforce1 AppExchange March 12th 2014 WALTHAM, Mass., March 12, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Brainshark, Inc., the [...] more »
- MediaBrix Launches In-Game Ad SDK for Intel’s Latest Platform March 12th 2014 NEW YORK, March 12, 2014 (ADOTAS) — MediaBrix, the leading [...] more »
- Fiverr® Updates iPhone App: Puts Over 3 Million Gigs® in the Palm of Your Hand March 12th 2014 NEW YORK, March 12, 2014 — Fiverr®, the world’s largest [...] more »
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum March 11th 2014 VANCOUVER, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Shahrzad Rafati, founder and CEO [...] more »
- Intent Media Hires Noted Travel Industry Exec Noreen Henry as VP of Business Development March 11th 2014 NEW YORK, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Intent Media, an [...] more »
- Ampush Appoints Rick Cotton as Chief Revenue Officer March 11th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Ampush, a leading [...] more »
- Big-Budget TV Ads Alone Aren’t Enough: Use Programmatic to Tell Your Brand Story March 12th 2014
- 5 Keys to Capitalizing on the Mobile Gaming Phenomenon March 11th 2014
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Courtesy to The Bellingham Business Journal | For Copywriters Only: [...] Fiverr® Updates iPhone App: Puts Fіnіѕhеԁ 3 Million Gigs® іn thе Palm οf Yουr
- Chris: I don't think BBTV drives success for online video creators by leveraging its proprietary technology
- Weekly RTB and Programmatic Marketing News from RTB Forums | My Blog / Website: [...] http://www.adotas.com/2014/03/sonobi-to-sponsor-premium-programmatic-event-in-nyc-next-week/ [...]
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Headlines Amazon Working on Music-Streaming ServiceThe Woman Who Scavenged SXSW For An iPadBroadbandTV