Feds looking at ‘Amazon Tax’
ADOTAS — The federal government might soon trump the state to state fight to stop online sales taxes.
Congress is expected to introduce a bill this week that would force retailers like eBay and Amazon.com to start collecting sales taxes on behalf of states from people who shop online or through mail order, according to the NY Post. California affiliate members were trying to scuttle a change in the tax law that would force companies with no physical presence in the state to collect taxes there. This would trump that fight.
New York has recently passed a similar bill, nicknamed the Amazon Tax. Both Amazon and Overstock have fought the law and lost, but both are appealing. While Amazon continued in New York, Overstock ended its partnerships with affiliates.
“This would be fiscal relief for the states that wouldn’t require any money from the federal government,” Neal Osten told the Post. Osten, a senior policy analyst with the National Conference of State Legislatures, which is drafting the bill, pointed to a recent study that said state sales tax collections fell to their lowest levels in 50 years at the end of 2008.
Expected to be introduced by Sen. Mike Enzi, R-WYO, and Rep. Bill Delahunt, D-MA, is being drafted to make it easier for retailers by requiring states to inform retailers when there’s a change in the tax code, such as a sales tax holiday.
Good news for brick and mortar stores. Bad news for any e-commerce site that requires shipping and handling fees. Amazing how direct mail catalogs have avoided this issue for over 100 years.
this is the biggest load of crap. the government can’t stop spending money so they keep digging into our pockets. Lots of mom and pop online stores will be affected by this and plenty of online buyers will be hit by this. I already hate paying taxes from certain retailers that I buy online from – they charge taxes on me. I live in an area where the bricks and mortar stores qualify for 3.5% sales tax (half of the state’s tax) because it’s considered an urban area.
This is ridiculous! The Government needs to stop spending. Do like all of us – spend what it gets, not spend what it doesn’t have!
Leave a Comment
Take the Display Advertising Survey for the Chance to Win a Jawbone Jambox!ADOTAS – Industry discussions about cookies, privacy and the impact on display advertising have been frequent — and, in some [...] more...
- It’s Not Digital – It’s Mobile May 17th 2013 ADOTAS — One of the biggest mistakes advertisers can [...] more »
- Video from the Westchester Digital Summit May 17th 2013 ADOTAS – The first-ever Westchester Digital Summit was held on May [...] more »
- Automating Core Processes Can Reduce ‘Little Big Problems’ That Ruin Customer Relationships May 17th 2013 ADOTAS — Strong marketing strategies attract attention and build the [...] more »
- Adotas Poll: Tremor Video IPO Would Be A Success May 17th 2013 ADOTAS – In this week’s poll, we asked our readers: [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Impact of Google I/O Announcements? May 16th 2013 ADOTAS – We’ve asked our esteemed panel of industry thought [...] more »
- Unleash the Power of Mobile: 6 Steps to Lead Generation the ‘Iron Man’ Way May 16th 2013 ADOTAS – Tony Stark aka Iron Man is restless. The [...] more »
- Pandora is First Digital Publisher to Offer e-Business Advertising Integration into Media Buying Platforms May 16th 2013 OAKLAND, CALIF., May 15, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Pandora (NYSE: P), [...] more »
- Video from the Westchester Digital Summit May 17th 2013
- Automating Core Processes Can Reduce ‘Little Big Problems’ That Ruin Customer Relationships May 17th 2013
- Unleash the Power of Mobile: 6 Steps to Lead Generation the ‘Iron Man’ Way May 16th 2013
- Who’s Sharing My Brand Images? Why Text-Based Social Media Monitoring Falls Short May 16th 2013
- Ads That Look at You: How Eye-Tracking Technologies Will Change the Advertising Game May 15th 2013
- Print and Web Manager
- SEO Marketing PPC Specialist
- Marketing Summer Internship at Clean-Tech Educatio
- Service Line Manager - Digital Media
- SEO / SEM Specialist
- Backlinks uk: Within search engine optimisation (SEO), one way links reference hyper-links aiming to a distinct Website
- energy-physics: Media.net is a fantastic ad program. But now a days I cant customize their ads.
- Today’s Burning Question: Impact of Google I/O Announcements? – Adotas | Social Media Strategy Plan: [...] Permalink [...]
- Today’s Burning Question: Impact of Google I/O Announcements?: [...] “What will be the impact of the big announcements coming out of this week’s