Feds looking at ‘Amazon Tax’
ADOTAS — The federal government might soon trump the state to state fight to stop online sales taxes.
Congress is expected to introduce a bill this week that would force retailers like eBay and Amazon.com to start collecting sales taxes on behalf of states from people who shop online or through mail order, according to the NY Post. California affiliate members were trying to scuttle a change in the tax law that would force companies with no physical presence in the state to collect taxes there. This would trump that fight.
New York has recently passed a similar bill, nicknamed the Amazon Tax. Both Amazon and Overstock have fought the law and lost, but both are appealing. While Amazon continued in New York, Overstock ended its partnerships with affiliates.
“This would be fiscal relief for the states that wouldn’t require any money from the federal government,” Neal Osten told the Post. Osten, a senior policy analyst with the National Conference of State Legislatures, which is drafting the bill, pointed to a recent study that said state sales tax collections fell to their lowest levels in 50 years at the end of 2008.
Expected to be introduced by Sen. Mike Enzi, R-WYO, and Rep. Bill Delahunt, D-MA, is being drafted to make it easier for retailers by requiring states to inform retailers when there’s a change in the tax code, such as a sales tax holiday.
Good news for brick and mortar stores. Bad news for any e-commerce site that requires shipping and handling fees. Amazing how direct mail catalogs have avoided this issue for over 100 years.
this is the biggest load of crap. the government can’t stop spending money so they keep digging into our pockets. Lots of mom and pop online stores will be affected by this and plenty of online buyers will be hit by this. I already hate paying taxes from certain retailers that I buy online from – they charge taxes on me. I live in an area where the bricks and mortar stores qualify for 3.5% sales tax (half of the state’s tax) because it’s considered an urban area.
This is ridiculous! The Government needs to stop spending. Do like all of us – spend what it gets, not spend what it doesn’t have!
Leave a Comment
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- Facebook’s Atlas Solutions Partners with Cross-Screen Ad Platform Innovid March 5th 2014 ADOTAS — Tablets, smartphones, laptops are all competing for people’s [...] more »
- LinkedIn Introduces Sponsored InMail on Mobile March 5th 2014 ADOTAS – LinkedIn expanded its mobile ad offering today with the [...] more »
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- 3 Signs Your Marketing Program is Failing March 4th 2014
- Start Your Engines: A Sneak Peek at SXSW 2014 March 4th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] on a Smartphone, You'll Probably Finish on a LaptopDisney Interactive Lays Off 700 WorkersSpotlight
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] for Quvenzhane Wallis in First 'Annie' TrailerFacebook Cracks Down on Illegal Gun PostsTwelvefold Introduces
- Tyler Burke: Nice article Patrica, and your right 2014 will need more engaging content that can be
- #DailyDigital Quick! Somebody Buy Someone! Anything! | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] It’s Alive! Facebook’s Atlas Ad Server Adds Rich Media API Program I don’t really