Creativity vs standard ad unit
The question is how much can it change without annoying users. Gawker Media seems to be doing well by allowing takeover advertising, and others believe online ads should have more creative input rather than being decided by media planners and publishers. Randall Rothenberg, Interactive Advertising Bureau president and CEO, said at the annual meeting last week that standard designs for web pages may need to be revised.
“Creative agencies were absent,” Rothenberg told Mediaweek “You didn’t have the right people in the room.” Lately, many have wondered, “Have we designed the medium in a way that makes it appropriate and useful for the craft of persuasion?”
The IAB has formed a 12-member board of agency executives focused on improving Web creative.
David Payne, CEO of ShortTail Media, at the IAB meeting also added that it was time to stop making every decision based on user experience. He wants a standard, home-page-takeover-type unit that will appeal to brand advertisers. That proposal was aimed at combatting an overabundance of supply, low pricing and bad creative.
I believe independent sites will become test cases. Right now, the standards are safe and comfortable, though not as profitable as they once were. No one wants to take the chance of being out front and sending users elsewhere.
– Express your opinion, comment below.
Coming from an advertising/marketing background, I hear, loud and clear, what the advertisers are saying on this issue.
However, visitors to publisher’s sites are NOT coming for the ads. They are coming for the content. If the ads become so obtrusive, so prevalent, so overbearing, no matter how delightfully creative they are, visitors will get annoyed and stop coming. Publishers will be up the creek as traffic dwindles. Advertisers will pull their ads due to lack of eyeballs and where will that leave everyone? The cliche “behind the eight ball” comes to mind.
I believe that the IAB, ad agencies and Publishers all need to participate in these talks, with the ultimate caveat being — visitors come to sites for the content, not for the ads. If you want uniques to continue to frequent sites and absorb the advertising, the advertising must be integral to the site and not overwhelm it.
It’s true. I’ve gone to some sites that have ugly ads all over, and it hurts my eyeballs.
But what about the homepage takeover ads? Is there a difference between a user saying he/she doesn’t want obtrusive ads to that same user leaving because of it?
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]