Creativity vs standard ad unit
The question is how much can it change without annoying users. Gawker Media seems to be doing well by allowing takeover advertising, and others believe online ads should have more creative input rather than being decided by media planners and publishers. Randall Rothenberg, Interactive Advertising Bureau president and CEO, said at the annual meeting last week that standard designs for web pages may need to be revised.
“Creative agencies were absent,” Rothenberg told Mediaweek “You didn’t have the right people in the room.” Lately, many have wondered, “Have we designed the medium in a way that makes it appropriate and useful for the craft of persuasion?”
The IAB has formed a 12-member board of agency executives focused on improving Web creative.
David Payne, CEO of ShortTail Media, at the IAB meeting also added that it was time to stop making every decision based on user experience. He wants a standard, home-page-takeover-type unit that will appeal to brand advertisers. That proposal was aimed at combatting an overabundance of supply, low pricing and bad creative.
I believe independent sites will become test cases. Right now, the standards are safe and comfortable, though not as profitable as they once were. No one wants to take the chance of being out front and sending users elsewhere.
– Express your opinion, comment below.
Coming from an advertising/marketing background, I hear, loud and clear, what the advertisers are saying on this issue.
However, visitors to publisher’s sites are NOT coming for the ads. They are coming for the content. If the ads become so obtrusive, so prevalent, so overbearing, no matter how delightfully creative they are, visitors will get annoyed and stop coming. Publishers will be up the creek as traffic dwindles. Advertisers will pull their ads due to lack of eyeballs and where will that leave everyone? The cliche “behind the eight ball” comes to mind.
I believe that the IAB, ad agencies and Publishers all need to participate in these talks, with the ultimate caveat being — visitors come to sites for the content, not for the ads. If you want uniques to continue to frequent sites and absorb the advertising, the advertising must be integral to the site and not overwhelm it.
It’s true. I’ve gone to some sites that have ugly ads all over, and it hurts my eyeballs.
But what about the homepage takeover ads? Is there a difference between a user saying he/she doesn’t want obtrusive ads to that same user leaving because of it?
Leave a Comment
- Study: Dispop Trumps Google Display Advertising in Side-By-Side Comparison
- Rubicon Project Strengthens Senior Leadership Team With Strategic New Hires
- UPDATED: Is Ex-PayPal SVP The Person Leaving Ginormous ‘Tips for Jesus’?
- Integrate and Silicon Valley Bank Ink $12.5 Million in Secured Financing
- Pixalate Raises $4.6 Million to Bring Free Real-Time Ad Viewability and Fraud Detection to Brands and Agencies
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- Study: Dispop Trumps Google Display Advertising in Side-By-Side Comparison December 11th 2013 ADOTAS – Lest we forget, Google is an advertising company [...] more »
- Rubicon Project Strengthens Senior Leadership Team With Strategic New Hires December 11th 2013 LOS ANGELES, December 11, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Rubicon Project (www.rubiconproject.com), [...] more »
- UPDATED: Is Ex-PayPal SVP The Person Leaving Ginormous ‘Tips for Jesus’? December 11th 2013 ADOTAS — A New York waiter claims that Jack Selby, [...] more »
- Integrate and Silicon Valley Bank Ink $12.5 Million in Secured Financing December 11th 2013 SCOTTSDALE, AZ, December 11, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Integrate, the first [...] more »
- Pixalate Raises $4.6 Million to Bring Free Real-Time Ad Viewability and Fraud Detection to Brands and Agencies December 11th 2013 SANTA MONICA, Calif.,December 11, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Pixalate, a leading [...] more »
- Opera Mediaworks Reveals 6 Biggest Mobile Advertising Trends of 2013 December 11th 2013 SAN MATEO, Calif., December 11, 2013 (ADOTAS — In a [...] more »
- Survey: Effective Content Marketing Requires 10 or More Posts a Day December 10th 2013 ADOTAS – Marketers all have different opinions about how much [...] more »
- SPECIAL REPORT: Ad Fraud and the Anatomy of a Botnet December 11th 2013
- Survey: Effective Content Marketing Requires 10 or More Posts a Day December 10th 2013
- Sharpen Your Marketing Strategy with Accountable Media December 10th 2013
- Female Game Players are Stealing TV Advertising Budgets December 10th 2013
- Media Consolidation Is Revolutionizing Marketing December 9th 2013
- Mgr Channel Planning (Social Media)
- SEO/SEM Analyst
- Manager Planner - Digital Vendor Marketing
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- Chris Zaharias: Very interesting data. All respect due to Google for having built and scaled tools for
- Dick Bennett CEO: Richard, I (and my company)have been on this scene for years. We performed the initial
- CimatronE 11 Provides Italian Manufacturer With Major Gun Drilling Efficiencies | contractor-software.us: [...] SPECIAL REPORT: Ad Fraud and the Anatomy of a Botnet Click fraud, pixel-jacking and
- Cory Grassell: As an addendum to my previous post, I failed to consider Twitter. I suppose that