AD-ID battles for acceptance
ADOTAS – AD-ID has been around for a while, but still seems to be a fighting for an industry-wide acceptance.
It’s an online system that generates a unique identifying code for each advertising asset, creating a means to identify them across all media. The initiative upgrades the previous ISCI commercial coding system and replaces other methods used to identify advertising assets. Ad-ID was developed by the American Association of Advertising Agencies and the Association of National Advertisers, Inc.
I was talking to Jay Kulkarni, CEO and founder of Theorem, about how AD-ID is faring. Theorem is an online media operations and data services company. Kulkarni has been a supporter and said that the online advertising industry must adopt a standard measuring system.
“Today when you go to a retail store. and there is a product at the cash register, they are pretty much using a upc (universal product code) so that one code today allows the old, mature industries to tie the supply chain, inventory, finance, cash, everything together,” he said. “We don’t have that single tying identifier in the online advertsing world. If you run a campaign, you have two flavors: one is display the other is search. And within search, you have regular display and rich media. So then you run it, maybe through search engines, rich media, display ads. Then you have five or six data sets that are being pulled.”
The challenge is because it is running on different platforms, it becomes difficult to tie all these data sets together, he said. So right now, media buyers are using many different manual techniques to do it. “If you have a common denominator to tie in all these campaigns together that’s where this whole AD-ID thing comes in. You as a media planner can use that to tie all the different data sets and analyze it.”
It’s simple conceptually, he said, but it’s very difficult operationally.
“In terms of the adaption itself, you need a lot of organization, and I mean an independent large organization, one that is not tied to any of the other technology because than it would become bias. Media people should not be spending so much time, money and effort to pull data together and analzye it.”
Kulkarni said there are still questions.
“Technologically, I bleive that most of the new offerings that are trying to accomplish this are works in progress,” he said. “It remains to be seen if it will be proven to be the answer. It’s a good first step. It will take a while to have it battle tested.”
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- Facebook’s Atlas Solutions Partners with Cross-Screen Ad Platform Innovid March 5th 2014 ADOTAS — Tablets, smartphones, laptops are all competing for people’s [...] more »
- LinkedIn Introduces Sponsored InMail on Mobile March 5th 2014 ADOTAS – LinkedIn expanded its mobile ad offering today with the [...] more »
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- 3 Signs Your Marketing Program is Failing March 4th 2014
- Start Your Engines: A Sneak Peek at SXSW 2014 March 4th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] on a Smartphone, You'll Probably Finish on a LaptopDisney Interactive Lays Off 700 WorkersSpotlight
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] for Quvenzhane Wallis in First 'Annie' TrailerFacebook Cracks Down on Illegal Gun PostsTwelvefold Introduces
- Tyler Burke: Nice article Patrica, and your right 2014 will need more engaging content that can be
- #DailyDigital Quick! Somebody Buy Someone! Anything! | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] It’s Alive! Facebook’s Atlas Ad Server Adds Rich Media API Program I don’t really