AD-ID battles for acceptance
ADOTAS – AD-ID has been around for a while, but still seems to be a fighting for an industry-wide acceptance.
It’s an online system that generates a unique identifying code for each advertising asset, creating a means to identify them across all media. The initiative upgrades the previous ISCI commercial coding system and replaces other methods used to identify advertising assets. Ad-ID was developed by the American Association of Advertising Agencies and the Association of National Advertisers, Inc.
I was talking to Jay Kulkarni, CEO and founder of Theorem, about how AD-ID is faring. Theorem is an online media operations and data services company. Kulkarni has been a supporter and said that the online advertising industry must adopt a standard measuring system.
“Today when you go to a retail store. and there is a product at the cash register, they are pretty much using a upc (universal product code) so that one code today allows the old, mature industries to tie the supply chain, inventory, finance, cash, everything together,” he said. “We don’t have that single tying identifier in the online advertsing world. If you run a campaign, you have two flavors: one is display the other is search. And within search, you have regular display and rich media. So then you run it, maybe through search engines, rich media, display ads. Then you have five or six data sets that are being pulled.”
The challenge is because it is running on different platforms, it becomes difficult to tie all these data sets together, he said. So right now, media buyers are using many different manual techniques to do it. “If you have a common denominator to tie in all these campaigns together that’s where this whole AD-ID thing comes in. You as a media planner can use that to tie all the different data sets and analyze it.”
It’s simple conceptually, he said, but it’s very difficult operationally.
“In terms of the adaption itself, you need a lot of organization, and I mean an independent large organization, one that is not tied to any of the other technology because than it would become bias. Media people should not be spending so much time, money and effort to pull data together and analzye it.”
Kulkarni said there are still questions.
“Technologically, I bleive that most of the new offerings that are trying to accomplish this are works in progress,” he said. “It remains to be seen if it will be proven to be the answer. It’s a good first step. It will take a while to have it battle tested.”
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- IAB Releases Native Advertising Playbook
- Appia Launches Native Ads for App Discovery
- Kitara Media Acquires Healthguru.Com; Combined Business 2014 Revenues Estimated At $50MM
- Lenovo Names TubeMogul Its Global Partner for Programmatic Video Advertising
- Lionsgate Partners with Mobiquity to Promote ‘Ender’s Game,’ ‘Divergence’
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- IAB Releases Native Advertising Playbook December 4th 2013 NEW YORK, December 4, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Native has become [...] more »
- Appia Launches Native Ads for App Discovery December 4th 2013 DURHAM, NC, December 4, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Appia, the leading mobile user [...] more »
- Kitara Media Acquires Healthguru.Com; Combined Business 2014 Revenues Estimated At $50MM December 4th 2013 Kitara Media Acquires Top Health Video Site HealthGuru.com from Kitara [...] more »
- Lenovo Names TubeMogul Its Global Partner for Programmatic Video Advertising December 4th 2013 EMERYVILLE, Calif., December 4, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Today, TubeMogul was [...] more »
- Lionsgate Partners with Mobiquity to Promote ‘Ender’s Game,’ ‘Divergence’ December 4th 2013 ADOTAS — One of the year’s most anticipated films, “Ender’s [...] more »
- LiveRail Touts $100 Million Run Rate, Preps for IPO in 2014 December 4th 2013 ADOTAS — The demand for programmatic advertising has exploded, with [...] more »
- Infographic: Branded Video Sharing Almost 50X Higher In 2013 Than In 2006 December 4th 2013 NEW YORK, December 4, 2013 (ADOTAS) — The sharing of [...] more »
- Revenge of the Data Nerds: Who Will Be the Next Heartthrob of the B2B Data Market? December 4th 2013
- Paid to Post? What the Social Workforce Means for All of Us December 4th 2013
- Take the Time to Do Native Right December 2nd 2013
- Big Brands Have the Edge in Search Engine Results December 2nd 2013
- Disappointing Black Friday Sales? It’s Not Too Late to Profit from the Holidays December 2nd 2013
- Publisher Services Manager
- Social Media Manager (Part-Time)
- Social Media Manager
- Audience Development Manager
- Marketing Manager
- Big Brands Have the Edge in Search Engine Results « egy: [...] Permalink [...]
- How to improve your website's SEO - Business Record |: [...] the sites don't really …The 10 Most Cringe-Worthy SEO Myths Ever ToldBusiness 2 CommunityBig
- Gamers Gain Elite Status with Cadillac Campaign | Raldo Loijens: [...] a push to brand the elite gamers as Cadillac Elite. Cadillac Elite is being
- David: I hope my SEO-customers with semi-big brands do not read this - they might be