IBM, Microsoft, Massive Layoff Rumors
ADOTAS — Considering the recent massive layoffs that traumatized everyone, even those that survived, there was hope that the new year would at least give some respite.
But with quarterly numbers ready to come out, the layoff rumors and speculation has ramped up and targeted two behomeths: Microsoft and IBM.
News of Microsoft doing something by Jan. 15 has long been rumored, and some say restructuring is long overdue. But now people are saying 15,000 people worldwide, 17 percent of its workforce, could be laid off. Considering it was/still in play to buy parts of Yahoo, restructuring or selling off units, such as MSN, seems more likely. But 15,000? Wow, that’s some rumor. Of course this was a rumor at one point too.
“One message states that IBM will announce 16,000 layoffs on Jan. 23, affecting workers worldwide. Similar predictions are made in other recent posts on the site, which is run by the Alliance@IBM/Communications Workers of America Local 1701, a union that is trying to organize IBM workers.”
Now, scaring workers wouldn’t exactly be a new tactic in a union-organizing effort. So we’ll see about that.
– Express your opinion, comment below.
- Pingback from WPP’s Ogilvy & Mather Layoffs » Adotas
- Pingback from Small Businesses Battered » Adotas
Are you serious??? You are accusing alliance@ibm of using scare tactics of job losses for membership????? People are LOSING their jobs. It’s true. We are sure to finally get the bullet after 29 years of service. Funny, we just miss out on our health savings account, medical benefits and making the other standard ’30′ year promised benefits!! Thank GOD for alliance@ibm!!! They are there for the people being treated incredibly insensitively at IBM. The wrong type of people are running ibm now. Thank you alliance and goodbye and goodriddance to ibm
Leave a Comment
- AffinityAnswers Expands to Germany, UK; AppsFlyer’s New Analysis Tool; SourceMedia Adds Data-Driven Products; Ad Serving, Direct Deals & OTT Drive SpotX’s Growth; Jenny Jones Joins Telmar NA
- Loi Sapin 2.0: Parlez-vous Transparency? What the New French Law Means for Global Marketers
- They’re Here! SMS, Chatbots & a Halo of AI
- Rapt Media and Kaltura Team Up
- Ad-Juster Launches New Concierge Service from NYC; Promotes Sharon Smith; Brings in James Lane & Joseph Justin Lewis