Facebook Becomes a (Really Big) Country
ADOTAS — Heh. I loved this line from the new stats released by the social network’s founder Mark Zuckerberg, “if Facebook were a country, it would be the eighth most populated in the world, just ahead of Japan, Russia and Nigeria.”
According to the company, 150 million people are now members, with half of them using Facebook every day. There are users in 170 different countries and at least 35 languages are spoken.
Facebook, which projected between $250 million to $300 million in 2008 revenue, is also working out the kinks in specific advertising sales. Though it has brought in money from virtual gifts, advertising represents 85 percent of it’s revenues and has added video ads that users can leave comments on, as well as branded virtual gifts.
So while it still hasn’t become profitable, and smaller social networks are cratering, the site is adapting. I think one difference is the way its being used. Friending someone isn’t just about being friends with someone, or apparently even liking them anymore, now it’s becoming more open. It’s starting to be used as a networking site for all types of reasons and taking users to other sites.
– Express your opinion, comment below.
It’d be an incredibly unproductive country where people popped in for a brief chat, to spy on their friends, to look at endless photos mostly of drunken friends and people they’ve never met before, before leaving having realised their boss is approaching their desk.
“There are users in 170 different companies and at least 35 languages…” – did you mean to say “170 different countries”?
Yes. Thanks. It’s fixed.
Leave a Comment
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program December 6th 2013 ADOTAS – Twitter brought its tailored audiences ad program out [...] more »
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising December 6th 2013 ADOTAS — Video marketing company veeseo announced this week a [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’re featuring reactions from industry leaders to yesterday’s [...] more »
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack December 5th 2013 ADOTAS — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports [...] more »
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – While holiday shoppers have been conditioned to believe [...] more »
- Digital First Ventures, RealMatch Partner to Power JobsInTheUS.com December 5th 2013 NEW YORK, December 5, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Digital First Ventures, [...] more »
- Celtra Hires Ex-Adobe Exec Taplin as EVP of Global Sales December 5th 2013 CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – December 5, 2013 – Celtra Inc., the industry leader [...] more »
- Making Holiday Marketing Magic in 2013 December 6th 2013
- 5 New Video Ads You Should Watch Right Now December 6th 2013
- How Interactive Video is Helping Brands Engage with Their Customers December 5th 2013
- Is Putting Digital First Still Paramount for Advertisers? December 5th 2013
- Revenge of the Data Nerds: Who Will Be the Next Heartthrob of the B2B Data Market? December 4th 2013
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- Social Media Manager (Part-Time)
- Social Media Manager
- Audience Development Manager
- Text Marketing News December 6, 2013 | Text Marketing Companies: [...] veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video … – ADOTAS [...]
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack: [...] — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports of the latest major cyberattack,
- Zimmerman Advertising Has What White Castle Craves – ADOTAS | Zimmerman News: [...] more here: Google Zimmerman News In [...]
- Online Video Quality Matters More Than You Think | Video Industry | OneScreen: [...] so. In fact, branded videos are getting shared 50 times more in 2013 than