Can SMS Get McCain Elected?
ADOTAS EXCLUSIVE — John McCain is out of touch …with the American public.
At a time when nearly 60% of Americans use text messaging, how does the McCain campaign not have a text messaging element?
Text messaging today is as important to the American public as the fireside chats of the FDR era that targeted radio listeners. In fact, statistically, text messaging is more important than radio was in the 1930’s.
Barack Obama is using a cutting edge text message solution to sway voters. Last summer, the Illinois senator launched a text message initiative to organize volunteers and encourage supports to text GO to 62262 (OBAMA).
The Obama campaign’s site offers free ringtones from Obama’s speeches, Obama wallpapers, and voters can send questions to get policy statements. The text campaign also includes information on how to donate or volunteer for the campaign.
Obama’s text campaign is also the only one to regionalize its database. This has been valuable in getting the public out to see the senator during his local political speeches.
While Obama’s text message campaign may be the most active, Hillary Clinton and John Edwards actually had their text message campaigns going before Obama did and former President Bill Clinton has recently stated that he’s no longer a text message virgin either. But, Ms. Clinton’s campaign failed to use a vanity short code and never got the recognition that Obama’s did thus causing Clinton to fall short with her text campaign and in the primary election.
Text message campaigns on the political front are clearly here to stay. A University of Michigan and Princeton University study found that using text messages to remind voters to get out and vote increase voter participation by 4% among young voters. You can bet Obama will be sending reminders on Election Day.
The efforts of Obama and Clinton contrast starkly to the John McCain campaign that has yet to add any element of mobile marketing. It’s not surprising given his age. Only 11% of those over 65 use text messages.
Maybe that’s one reason why Barack Obama has a huge advantage among younger voters. When it comes to text messaging, John McCain just doesn’t get it.
Well, if this post on youtube is any indication (and I promise we had nothing to do with this one!) perhaps the ole Video Professor can get the Senator started!
I don’t understand the headline of this article at all.
- Pingback from Obama's Text Message Advantage
Travis: I agree with your comment. My headline was “John McCain is out of Touch,” but Adotas liked theirs better. Anyway, I am very thankful for the opportunity and hope you’ll read my article now that McCain is finally in touch!
Leave a Comment
- Infographic: B2B Content Tug of War
- 5 Mobile Strategies to Make Marketers Merry During the Holidays … and Beyond
- Gone In 10 Seconds: How the Pioneers of Snapchat Marketing Use the App to Build Their Brand
- SPECIAL REPORT: Ad Fraud and the Anatomy of a Botnet
- Survey: Effective Content Marketing Requires 10 or More Posts a Day
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- Infographic: Adobe By The Numbers December 12th 2013 ADOTAS – Adobe just announced results for its fiscal year that [...] more »
- Marketo Signs Definitive Agreement to Acquire Insightera, Extending Leadership in Multi-Channel Relationship Marketing December 12th 2013 SAN MATEO, Calif., December 12, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Marketo , provider [...] more »
- Rakuten MediaForge Chooses LiveRamp To Bridge Gap Between Customer Databases and Online Marketing for Brands December 12th 2013 SALT LAKE CITY, December 12, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Online marketers [...] more »
- VisualDNA Integrates with Adap.tv, Advertising.com, DataXu, Krux & Rocket Fuel December 12th 2013 LONDON, December 12, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Audience insights company VisualDNA [...] more »
- Simpli.fi Closes $16MM Round of Series B Funding December 12th 2013 FORT WORTH, TX., December 12, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Simpli.fi, an [...] more »
- MyCityWay Partners with USA TODAY to Launch Vegas-Themed App December 12th 2013 NEW YORK and MCLEAN, VA., December 12, 2013 (ADOTAS) – [...] more »
- Study: Dispop Trumps Google Display Advertising in Side-By-Side Comparison December 11th 2013 ADOTAS – Lest we forget, Google is an advertising company [...] more »
- Infographic: B2B Content Tug of War December 12th 2013
- 5 Mobile Strategies to Make Marketers Merry During the Holidays … and Beyond December 12th 2013
- Gone In 10 Seconds: How the Pioneers of Snapchat Marketing Use the App to Build Their Brand December 12th 2013
- SPECIAL REPORT: Ad Fraud and the Anatomy of a Botnet December 11th 2013
- Survey: Effective Content Marketing Requires 10 or More Posts a Day December 10th 2013
- Digital Media Specialist - Video
- Mgr Channel Planning (Social Media)
- SEO/SEM Analyst
- Manager Planner - Digital Vendor Marketing
- Brand Manager
- Stephen: Your new autoplay video commercials are REALLY annoying. It means I cannot leave your story
- Why Social Media Will Live Past their “Expiry Dates”: [...] in social media stock prices. In May 2012, Facebook reported a $35 billion loss
- Chris Zaharias: Very interesting data. All respect due to Google for having built and scaled tools for
- Dick Bennett CEO: Richard, I (and my company)have been on this scene for years. We performed the initial