Survey Says: Ad Industry Needs Image Overhaul
The results are in! JWT and Adweek announced their findings from a study conducted that assesses the difference between the media-create perception of the industry and the actual opinions of American adults.
The study, titled “Ad Industry Perception Survey,” showed that only 14% of Americans respect people in the advertising industry. This puts advertisers ahead of “national politicians” with 10%, and “car salesmen” with 5%. The most respected professions come are “teachers” with 71%, “physicians” with 75%, and “military personnel” with 79%.
Only 12% of those surveyed said they had seen “improvement” in a “bottom line” sense according to the release; and 31% of the populous thinks of advertisers as a “necessary good”.
Other results that reflected thoughts on the advertising profession and what ad professionals do include that 74% of people believe that “The Internet helps me make better product choices.” While that’s a positive mark, 84% believed that “Too many things are over-hyped now,” and 72% agreed that “I get tired of people trying to grab my attention and sell me stuff.”
While 39% of those surveyed said that the majority of advertising is persuasive, 61% does not see advertising as persuasive. The blows continued: 52% said “There’s too much advertising – I would support stricter limits,” 47% said “Advertising is background noise,” 42% believe “American advertising has improved in recent years” and 24% said they “recent advertising.”
But there was some good news on the horizon as 82% indicate they had a positive engagement with media overall, 41% consume “interactive” media and 2/3 claimed that “advertising is an important part of the American culture.”
This survey is important for industry professionals to take a look at in its entirety. While there are some things improving in the perception and the advertising industry, there are areas the public has clearly given to work on. Should these issues be taken into consideration, advertising may evolve further into a largely accepted and chosen normative as opposed to a force-fed ill-tasting medicine required to take.
JWT conducted this survey for Adweek online and at random. 966 American adults ages 18 and over, with a gender balance of half women and half men answered.
- Pingback from links for 2007-09-29 « THE Jeffrey Taylor
Leave a Comment
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum March 11th 2014 VANCOUVER, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Shahrzad Rafati, founder and CEO [...] more »
- Intent Media Hires Noted Travel Industry Exec Noreen Henry as VP of Business Development March 11th 2014 NEW YORK, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Intent Media, an [...] more »
- Ampush Appoints Rick Cotton as Chief Revenue Officer March 11th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Ampush, a leading [...] more »
- Facebook Exchange Partner Perfect Audience Taps into Google Merchant Accounts for Retargeting March 11th 2014 ADOTAS – You may already know that Facebook Exchange (FBX) [...] more »
- Covario Names Jeff MacGurn Senior Vice President March 11th 2014 SAN DIEGO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) -– Covario, a leading independent [...] more »
- Kitara Media Appoints Chris Magdelinskas as Chief Technology Officer March 11th 2014 JERSEY CITY, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Kitara Media Corp. [...] more »
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media March 10th 2014 KANSAS CITY, Mo. and LOS ANGELES, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) [...] more »
- 5 Keys to Capitalizing on the Mobile Gaming Phenomenon March 11th 2014
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Fans Among Farmers, Filmmakers#Selfie Music Video Dominates With Help From Social Media InfluencersAdknowledge Acquires
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Tech Companies Must Improve EncryptionThe (Important) SXSW Panels You Missed, Explained by CartoonsToday’s Burning
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Live Video: Edward Snowden at SXSWSheryl Sandberg Teams Up With Beyonce to Ban
- Finding Your Brand Advocates, Are You Ready for Super Bowl Sunday? - Inside CXM: [...] Theresa Trevor, Adotas, offers 5 simple rules to motivate brand advocates: [...]