Yahoo Allowed To Claim Their Prize
Yahoo has announced the clearance of its acquisition of Right Media for $650 million. This leaves the Google/DoubleClick deal for last to be cleared in the dealings made this past spring.
This clearance adds Yahoo to the approved club with Microsoft and WPP. These companies have passed through the Hart-Scott-Rodino antitrust waiting period for their acquisitions. This means that the FTC did not see a need to go into any further investigation, nor was there a found need to prevent the acquisitions in the interest of market competition.
Even though the FTC does not feel a need to be concerned with the acquisitions previously mentioned, shareholders still need to approve the Microsoft/aQuantive deal.
Yahoo is now approved to concentrate on the future of its display ads. Google/DoubleClick however, remains under the microscope of the FTC. There has not been an official comment made by the FTC, yet there is speculation that input from outside sources such as the ANA and 4A’s has something to do with the holdup.
Anand Subramanian, CEO of ContextWeb is one of many industry insiders that have soured over the Google and Yahoo deals. “The core reason people are willing to work with an exchange is because they’re independent. The moment you’re tied to a big corporation, publishers and advertisers alike get worried.”
There is still concern, however of the projected success of these acquisitions. Yahoo, with its internal changes is ambitious, but has come up short in some cases over the years. The company had acquired Overture for paid search improvements, and yet they are still far behind Google.
Subramanian stresses that the industry will be watching, “They’re a big organization with lots of challenges, and Right Media was this smaller company moving at 100 miles-per-hour. It will be interesting to see whether this slows them down to 10 mph or speeds them up to 200.”
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Big-Budget TV Ads Alone Aren’t Enough: Use Programmatic to Tell Your Brand Story
- 5 Keys to Capitalizing on the Mobile Gaming Phenomenon
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me!
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss
- MediaBrix Launches In-Game Ad SDK for Intel’s Latest Platform March 12th 2014 NEW YORK, March 12, 2014 (ADOTAS) — MediaBrix, the leading [...] more »
- Fiverr® Updates iPhone App: Puts Over 3 Million Gigs® in the Palm of Your Hand March 12th 2014 NEW YORK, March 12, 2014 — Fiverr®, the world’s largest [...] more »
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum March 11th 2014 VANCOUVER, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Shahrzad Rafati, founder and CEO [...] more »
- Intent Media Hires Noted Travel Industry Exec Noreen Henry as VP of Business Development March 11th 2014 NEW YORK, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Intent Media, an [...] more »
- Ampush Appoints Rick Cotton as Chief Revenue Officer March 11th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Ampush, a leading [...] more »
- Facebook Exchange Partner Perfect Audience Taps into Google Merchant Accounts for Retargeting March 11th 2014 ADOTAS – You may already know that Facebook Exchange (FBX) [...] more »
- Covario Names Jeff MacGurn Senior Vice President March 11th 2014 SAN DIEGO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) -– Covario, a leading independent [...] more »
- Big-Budget TV Ads Alone Aren’t Enough: Use Programmatic to Tell Your Brand Story March 12th 2014
- 5 Keys to Capitalizing on the Mobile Gaming Phenomenon March 11th 2014
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Fans Among Farmers, Filmmakers#Selfie Music Video Dominates With Help From Social Media InfluencersAdknowledge Acquires
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Tech Companies Must Improve EncryptionThe (Important) SXSW Panels You Missed, Explained by CartoonsToday’s Burning
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Live Video: Edward Snowden at SXSWSheryl Sandberg Teams Up With Beyonce to Ban
- Finding Your Brand Advocates, Are You Ready for Super Bowl Sunday? - Inside CXM: [...] Theresa Trevor, Adotas, offers 5 simple rules to motivate brand advocates: [...]