Topix.net Touts Citizen Journalism, Becomes Topix.com
News search site Topix.net has added a new feature which will allow users and readers to contribute news stories to its content. Co-owned by U.S. newspaper publishers Gannett, McClatchy, and Tribune Co., the website will begin its search for users to report local news, which is usually not covered, or not covered enough.
Topix will give internet users who are registered on the website news posting access and allow readers to receive information and local news stories. Advertisers will also benefit with the specific target market available from this new feature.
“Citizen Journalists” are welcomed from their communities to join the Topix open directory and can either post news while other editors will be selected to help moderate our forums working under the Topix editorial guideline.
According to Reuters, Topix co-founder and Chief Executive Rich Skrenta’s idea for this feature was inspired by his wife’s efforts to build support for a mayoral candidate in their hometown of San Carlos, California.
“They’ve created a container, or culture, where it’s possible to really see if it will work,” Sterling Market Intelligence analyst Greg Sterling noted.
Topix will also be changing its web address to .com, instead of .net in preparation for the new feature and due to spam concerns. “Some people thought we were spammers. Some people thought it was cold and technical,” Skrenta said.
This sounds a lot like Yourhub.com–a site that is city/neighborhood specific and uses citizen journalists to contribute the news. Also, advertisers can focus on a specific area. Yourhub.com has been around for at least a couple years. So I do not believe this is some radical new idea as the chief exec reports.
Leave a Comment
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late
- Digital First Ventures, RealMatch Partner to Power JobsInTheUS.com
- Celtra Hires Ex-Adobe Exec Taplin as EVP of Global Sales
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’re featuring reactions from industry leaders to yesterday’s [...] more »
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – Twitter brought its tailored audiences ad program out [...] more »
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – While holiday shoppers have been conditioned to believe [...] more »
- Digital First Ventures, RealMatch Partner to Power JobsInTheUS.com December 5th 2013 NEW YORK, December 5, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Digital First Ventures, [...] more »
- Celtra Hires Ex-Adobe Exec Taplin as EVP of Global Sales December 5th 2013 CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – December 5, 2013 – Celtra Inc., the industry leader [...] more »
- NetSeer Appoints Dennis Clerke President of Monetization December 5th 2013 MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., December 5, 2013 (ADOTAS) – NetSeer™, the [...] more »
- RealityMine Acquires USA TouchPoints December 5th 2013 MANCHESTER, U.K., December 5, 2013 (ADOTAS) — RealityMine, a leading [...] more »
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack December 5th 2013
- How Interactive Video is Helping Brands Engage with Their Customers December 5th 2013
- Is Putting Digital First Still Paramount for Advertisers? December 5th 2013
- Revenge of the Data Nerds: Who Will Be the Next Heartthrob of the B2B Data Market? December 4th 2013
- Paid to Post? What the Social Workforce Means for All of Us December 4th 2013
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- Social Media Manager (Part-Time)
- Social Media Manager
- Audience Development Manager
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack: [...] — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports of the latest major cyberattack,
- Online Video Quality Matters More Than You Think | Video Industry | OneScreen: [...] so. In fact, branded videos are getting shared 50 times more in 2013 than
- Is Putting Digital First Still Paramount for Advertisers?: [...] like Digimarc have been bridging the gap between print ads and online tracking by
- Big Brands Have the Edge in Search Engine Results « egy: [...] Permalink [...]