Topix.net Touts Citizen Journalism, Becomes Topix.com
News search site Topix.net has added a new feature which will allow users and readers to contribute news stories to its content. Co-owned by U.S. newspaper publishers Gannett, McClatchy, and Tribune Co., the website will begin its search for users to report local news, which is usually not covered, or not covered enough.
Topix will give internet users who are registered on the website news posting access and allow readers to receive information and local news stories. Advertisers will also benefit with the specific target market available from this new feature.
“Citizen Journalists” are welcomed from their communities to join the Topix open directory and can either post news while other editors will be selected to help moderate our forums working under the Topix editorial guideline.
According to Reuters, Topix co-founder and Chief Executive Rich Skrenta’s idea for this feature was inspired by his wife’s efforts to build support for a mayoral candidate in their hometown of San Carlos, California.
“They’ve created a container, or culture, where it’s possible to really see if it will work,” Sterling Market Intelligence analyst Greg Sterling noted.
Topix will also be changing its web address to .com, instead of .net in preparation for the new feature and due to spam concerns. “Some people thought we were spammers. Some people thought it was cold and technical,” Skrenta said.
This sounds a lot like Yourhub.com–a site that is city/neighborhood specific and uses citizen journalists to contribute the news. Also, advertisers can focus on a specific area. Yourhub.com has been around for at least a couple years. So I do not believe this is some radical new idea as the chief exec reports.
Leave a Comment
Take the Display Advertising Survey for the Chance to Win a Jawbone Jambox!ADOTAS – Industry discussions about cookies, privacy and the impact on display advertising have been frequent — and, in some [...] more...
- Watch it Live: Xbox Reveal, 5/21 at Noon EDT/10 a.m. PDT May 20th 2013 ADOTAS (via CNET) – Check out CNET’s live coverage of [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Implications of Yahoo’s Tumblr Acquisition? May 20th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’ve solicited comments from industry leaders in [...] more »
- AFAIK: Poptent, Clear Channel Outdoor, Infusionsoft, Silverpop May 20th 2013 ADOTAS — Here’s what jumped out of my Inbox and [...] more »
- Live Twitter feed from Internet Week New York May 20th 2013 ADOTAS – This year’s Internet Week New York (#IWNY) will [...] more »
- Preview: What’s Happening at Internet Week New York 2013 May 20th 2013 ADOTAS — Digital advertising and technology collide this week as [...] more »
- Report: David Karp sells Tumblr to Yahoo! for $1.1 Billion May 20th 2013 ADOTAS (via New York’s Daily News) — Who wants to [...] more »
- It’s Not Digital – It’s Mobile May 17th 2013 ADOTAS — One of the biggest mistakes advertisers can [...] more »
- Preview: What’s Happening at Internet Week New York 2013 May 20th 2013
- Video from the Westchester Digital Summit May 17th 2013
- Automating Core Processes Can Reduce ‘Little Big Problems’ That Ruin Customer Relationships May 17th 2013
- Unleash the Power of Mobile: 6 Steps to Lead Generation the ‘Iron Man’ Way May 16th 2013
- Who’s Sharing My Brand Images? Why Text-Based Social Media Monitoring Falls Short May 16th 2013
- Print and Web Manager
- SEO Marketing PPC Specialist
- Marketing Summer Internship at Clean-Tech Educatio
- Service Line Manager - Digital Media
- SEO / SEM Specialist
- Pinterest Roundup — May 2013 | Technology for Publishing LLC: [...] Early Pinterest Analytics Show Brand Potential [...]
- YouTube Turns Eight As Platform Surpasses More Than 100 Hours Of Video … | HOW CAN I GET MONEY: [...] in the look, feel and behavior of Google Objects. The integration is easy, and
- MobiKeith: Well done. Gr8 read. Concepts can b used in general sales/marketing environment. Tx.
- Client News Weekly Wrap Up: [...] PunchTab founder and CEO Ramjet Kumaran, lists four best practices for using incentives to attract and