News

Beijing Slams Sohu for Posting U.S. Movies Online

Written on
Jan 2, 2007
Author
Sarah Novotny  |

In a case that marks a win for Hollywood studios and online intellectual property, a Beijing court has ordered Chinese portal Sohu.com to pay nearly $139,000 for illegally distributing U.S.-produced movies.

The Motion Picture Association (MPA), which filed the lawsuit on behalf of Hollywood, claimed that the Sohu-owned Internet Information Service Co. had posted several movies online, including “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban,” “The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring,” and “Dawn of the Dead” between 2004 and 2005. The Sohu subsidiary offers more than 100 movies for download on a subscription basis.

Asia in general is a hotbed for pirated media. The MPA’s Asian division investigated more than 34,000 cases of bootlegging and Internet piracy in 2005 and claims that Chinese piracy cost the movie industry $244 million in box office receipts. Earlier this month the MPA, along with several other western trade organizations, signed an agreement with the National Copyright Administration of China to protect video, software and printed materiel from being pirated over the Internet.

According to the ruling by the Beijing First Intermediate People’s Court, the Sohu subsidiary must also post an acknowledgement of wrongdoing.

In a report from the Associated Press, the MPA blames Chinese administrators for encouraging piracy by permitting only a handful of foreign films to be released theatrically, as half of the films cited in the lawsuit had not reached Chinese theaters. According to the Wall Street Journal, the MPA has won all of its lawsuits because government censorship prevents many of the films from being sold in China in the first place.

Sarah Novotny is a contributing editor at Adotas. Sarah grew up in San Jose, California. Her educational and professional career have taken her to both Los Angeles and New York City where she received a B.F.A. from NYU. As a writer, Sarah has free-lanced for various publications focusing primarily on traditional advertising and media reviews. When not writing and editing for Adotas, Sarah is continuing her acting career in various theatrical and film/television productions.

Reader Comments.

If you are interested in making money online, please visit us

http://www.globalgoldtalk.com – The Best HYIP Rating. The Fairest High Yield Investment Programs Monitoring Service. HYIP Mailings, HYIP Articles, HYIP Compares, HYIP Analysis.

http://www.globalgoldtalk.com globalgoldtalk.com

Posted by proifvndx | 1:28 am on March 4, 2007.

Nice site!

Posted by besttravusa | 10:02 pm on March 4, 2007.

Somebody using pheromons to attract women, whether is real it?
Where they can be got?

Posted by Komeddyk | 3:12 pm on March 7, 2007.

Hi cams.com G’night

Posted by affdataboy | 3:54 pm on March 9, 2007.

Hi everybody,
many of the people that I know get their vacation from their work in the summer months, but myself, I have to my job the whole summer. Now my so desired holiday period is coming also for me. This year I wanna travel to Asia. In these moment I have a travel website always opened to look for singapore hotel. I am gonna arrive with the airplane to Bangkok and then I will choose how to go on. I am alone, so the world is my oister.
cheers everybody,
Alex

Posted by yellownextwinner | 5:18 am on March 16, 2007.

Hi. I find forum about work and travel. Where can I to see it?
Best Regards, Michael.

Posted by MichaelDZH | 7:52 am on March 29, 2007.

Hello
I’ve just registered at the forum. This is my first message.
Please don’t become angry about me.
Thank you.

Posted by Crinforgo | 4:11 pm on November 14, 2007.

To get high rankings in Yahoo and MSN is all about links? I can get ranked easier in Google with links,
but the other two I have no clue.

Posted by seonewbieJay | 9:06 am on November 25, 2007.

If money can’t buy happiness, I guess you’ll just have to rent it.

—————————————————————————————————-

Posted by Loyasynerne | 6:36 am on May 5, 2008.

rapidshare spyware doctor rapidshare spyware doctor rapidshare spyware doctor. spyware liquidater spyware eliminater spyware obliterater. top 10 spyware throwing over top 10 spyware throwing over top 10 spyware throwing over. of charge trojan spyware liquidater gratis trojan spyware liquidater gratis trojan spyware liquidater.
SpyLocked Descriptions:

SpyLocked (v. 4.3) also remembern as SpywareLocked or SpyLocked 3.9 or SpyLocked 4.1 or SpyLocked 4.2 or SpyLocked 4.3, is falsifyd anti-spyware software. SpyLocked generally speaking installed itself onto your PC without your consent, fully Trojan, Virus or forgery software. SpyLocked compel pageant forgery arrangement alerts or pretender refuge alerts to mislead owner to buy the Paid style of SpyLocked.

To sidestep putting your computer at gamble, it is outstanding to liquidate SpyLocked or SpywareLocked thoroughly. You can try our counseled SpyHunter* Spyware Detection Utility, which is particular moderate and from the shoulder-forward. You don’t necessary to remember anything nearly Spylocked. after all, if you show compassion for registry and dll files in Windows, we strongly advisable you to try the Spylocked/Spywawrelocked ouster instructions that we put together. It’s been proven that it can essentially get rid of SpyLocked or SpywareLocked from your machine.

We resolution constantly update the instructions to skirmish against Spylocked and its modifications. cheer be aware gratis to assign comments if you partake of any questions or suggestions with regard to Spylocked. This is a devoted community and I am unshakeable that you would light upon the answers. upstanding stroke of ! (New modification is also remembern as VirusProtect) (New modification is also remembern as Trojan.Win32)

Posted by audishitams | 11:19 am on June 27, 2008.

[b]Have any of you been to Yahoo chat lately?[/b]

I haven’t been in yahoo chat for over a year since they were swamped by bots but thought I’d give it a try again the other day. Man have they gotten bad! Not only are most of the people in the rooms bots but they’ve gotten rid of almost all of the adult rooms and now only have a bunch of generic little cheesy rooms left. I did try paltalk but the room mods kick you out for any stupid reason and the people were really clique. They also want you to pay for some of the features so I gave up on them pretty quick.

There is one chat site that is pretty good called [url=http://oohya.net][b]Oohya Chat[/b][/url], they have cams and voice and profiles unlike most of the other crappy chat sites out there and don’t have any bots but they just don’t have the user base yahoo had. I think they have promise if more people start using it but still isn’t anything like yahoo used to be. It seems to be the best one out there for now though.

Anyone else know of any other good free chat sites out there?

Posted by Lorydrano | 3:21 am on September 24, 2008.

Comments Off