Advertisers Turning to Consumers in Droves for Super Bowl Spots
Several prominent advertisers, including Frito-Lay, GM and the NFL itself, are turning to creatives generated by consumers to air during Super Bowl XLI in February.
GM will be running a Chevrolet spot generated through an ad creation contest for students last year. More than 800 students on 400 teams submitted ad concepts. The finalists flew to Motor City where they pitched their ideas directly to GM execs. The winners saw their ad through the production process.
The NFL will be running a spot generated through its “Best NFL Super Bowl Commercial Ever” contest. Late last year, the NFL put out a call for users to pitch their Super Bowl ad ideas. The winning entry will be produced.
While GM and the NFL will be getting ideas from consumers, the commercials themselves will be produced by a professional studio. Frito-Lay, however, will be running a Doritos ad that will be entirely user-created and selected from among the top five finalists in a contest where users both created the ads and voted on the best entries.
Full Super Bowl commercials aren’t the only ad-related initiatives being touched by users. Alka-Seltzer is tying to get users to come up with a new jingle which will be shown in a spot during the Super Bowl pre-game show. And one blogger is looking for a sponsor willing to provide 15 seconds of Super Bowl ad time to let him propose to his girlfriend during the big game.
The Super Bowl will air on CBS before an estimated 90 million viewers, and each 30 second TV ad spot is reportedly worth about $2.6 million. According to the New York Times, CBS is also toying with the idea of giving sponsors the opportunity to show their Super Bowl ads on the CBS SportsLine website as well.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- 3 Signs Your Marketing Program is Failing March 4th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] on a Smartphone, You'll Probably Finish on a LaptopDisney Interactive Lays Off 700 WorkersSpotlight