Advertisers Turning to Consumers in Droves for Super Bowl Spots
Several prominent advertisers, including Frito-Lay, GM and the NFL itself, are turning to creatives generated by consumers to air during Super Bowl XLI in February.
GM will be running a Chevrolet spot generated through an ad creation contest for students last year. More than 800 students on 400 teams submitted ad concepts. The finalists flew to Motor City where they pitched their ideas directly to GM execs. The winners saw their ad through the production process.
The NFL will be running a spot generated through its “Best NFL Super Bowl Commercial Ever” contest. Late last year, the NFL put out a call for users to pitch their Super Bowl ad ideas. The winning entry will be produced.
While GM and the NFL will be getting ideas from consumers, the commercials themselves will be produced by a professional studio. Frito-Lay, however, will be running a Doritos ad that will be entirely user-created and selected from among the top five finalists in a contest where users both created the ads and voted on the best entries.
Full Super Bowl commercials aren’t the only ad-related initiatives being touched by users. Alka-Seltzer is tying to get users to come up with a new jingle which will be shown in a spot during the Super Bowl pre-game show. And one blogger is looking for a sponsor willing to provide 15 seconds of Super Bowl ad time to let him propose to his girlfriend during the big game.
The Super Bowl will air on CBS before an estimated 90 million viewers, and each 30 second TV ad spot is reportedly worth about $2.6 million. According to the New York Times, CBS is also toying with the idea of giving sponsors the opportunity to show their Super Bowl ads on the CBS SportsLine website as well.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
Take the Display Advertising Survey for the Chance to Win a Jawbone Jambox!ADOTAS – Industry discussions about cookies, privacy and the impact on display advertising have been frequent — and, in some [...] more...
- Watch it Live: Xbox Reveal, 5/21 at Noon EDT/10 a.m. PDT May 20th 2013 ADOTAS (via CNET) – Check out CNET’s live coverage of [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Implications of Yahoo’s Tumblr Acquisition? May 20th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’ve solicited comments from industry leaders in [...] more »
- AFAIK: Poptent, Clear Channel Outdoor, Infusionsoft, Silverpop May 20th 2013 ADOTAS — Here’s what jumped out of my Inbox and [...] more »
- Live Twitter feed from Internet Week New York May 20th 2013 ADOTAS – This year’s Internet Week New York (#IWNY) will [...] more »
- Preview: What’s Happening at Internet Week New York 2013 May 20th 2013 ADOTAS — Digital advertising and technology collide this week as [...] more »
- Report: David Karp sells Tumblr to Yahoo! for $1.1 Billion May 20th 2013 ADOTAS (via New York’s Daily News) — Who wants to [...] more »
- It’s Not Digital – It’s Mobile May 17th 2013 ADOTAS — One of the biggest mistakes advertisers can [...] more »
- Preview: What’s Happening at Internet Week New York 2013 May 20th 2013
- Video from the Westchester Digital Summit May 17th 2013
- Automating Core Processes Can Reduce ‘Little Big Problems’ That Ruin Customer Relationships May 17th 2013
- Unleash the Power of Mobile: 6 Steps to Lead Generation the ‘Iron Man’ Way May 16th 2013
- Who’s Sharing My Brand Images? Why Text-Based Social Media Monitoring Falls Short May 16th 2013
- Print and Web Manager
- SEO Marketing PPC Specialist
- Marketing Summer Internship at Clean-Tech Educatio
- Service Line Manager - Digital Media
- SEO / SEM Specialist
- Pinterest Roundup — May 2013 | Technology for Publishing LLC: [...] Early Pinterest Analytics Show Brand Potential [...]
- YouTube Turns Eight As Platform Surpasses More Than 100 Hours Of Video … | HOW CAN I GET MONEY: [...] in the look, feel and behavior of Google Objects. The integration is easy, and
- MobiKeith: Well done. Gr8 read. Concepts can b used in general sales/marketing environment. Tx.
- Client News Weekly Wrap Up: [...] PunchTab founder and CEO Ramjet Kumaran, lists four best practices for using incentives to attract and