Advertisers Turning to Consumers in Droves for Super Bowl Spots
Several prominent advertisers, including Frito-Lay, GM and the NFL itself, are turning to creatives generated by consumers to air during Super Bowl XLI in February.
GM will be running a Chevrolet spot generated through an ad creation contest for students last year. More than 800 students on 400 teams submitted ad concepts. The finalists flew to Motor City where they pitched their ideas directly to GM execs. The winners saw their ad through the production process.
The NFL will be running a spot generated through its “Best NFL Super Bowl Commercial Ever” contest. Late last year, the NFL put out a call for users to pitch their Super Bowl ad ideas. The winning entry will be produced.
While GM and the NFL will be getting ideas from consumers, the commercials themselves will be produced by a professional studio. Frito-Lay, however, will be running a Doritos ad that will be entirely user-created and selected from among the top five finalists in a contest where users both created the ads and voted on the best entries.
Full Super Bowl commercials aren’t the only ad-related initiatives being touched by users. Alka-Seltzer is tying to get users to come up with a new jingle which will be shown in a spot during the Super Bowl pre-game show. And one blogger is looking for a sponsor willing to provide 15 seconds of Super Bowl ad time to let him propose to his girlfriend during the big game.
The Super Bowl will air on CBS before an estimated 90 million viewers, and each 30 second TV ad spot is reportedly worth about $2.6 million. According to the New York Times, CBS is also toying with the idea of giving sponsors the opportunity to show their Super Bowl ads on the CBS SportsLine website as well.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program December 6th 2013 ADOTAS – Twitter brought its tailored audiences ad program out [...] more »
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising December 6th 2013 ADOTAS — Video marketing company veeseo announced this week a [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’re featuring reactions from industry leaders to yesterday’s [...] more »
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack December 5th 2013 ADOTAS — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports [...] more »
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – While holiday shoppers have been conditioned to believe [...] more »
- Digital First Ventures, RealMatch Partner to Power JobsInTheUS.com December 5th 2013 NEW YORK, December 5, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Digital First Ventures, [...] more »
- Celtra Hires Ex-Adobe Exec Taplin as EVP of Global Sales December 5th 2013 CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – December 5, 2013 – Celtra Inc., the industry leader [...] more »
- Making Holiday Marketing Magic in 2013 December 6th 2013
- 5 New Video Ads You Should Watch Right Now December 6th 2013
- How Interactive Video is Helping Brands Engage with Their Customers December 5th 2013
- Is Putting Digital First Still Paramount for Advertisers? December 5th 2013
- Revenge of the Data Nerds: Who Will Be the Next Heartthrob of the B2B Data Market? December 4th 2013
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- Social Media Manager (Part-Time)
- Social Media Manager
- Audience Development Manager
- Text Marketing News December 6, 2013 | Text Marketing Companies: [...] veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video … – ADOTAS [...]
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack: [...] — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports of the latest major cyberattack,
- Zimmerman Advertising Has What White Castle Craves – ADOTAS | Zimmerman News: [...] more here: Google Zimmerman News In [...]
- Online Video Quality Matters More Than You Think | Video Industry | OneScreen: [...] so. In fact, branded videos are getting shared 50 times more in 2013 than