Deep Focus Turns ‘Entourage’ Campaign into a Popularity Contest
In just two seasons, HBO’s “Entourage” has given its audience an unfiltered, hilarious insider’s view of young Hollywood. As a result, any fan of this increasingly popular series would likely drop their daily routines in a hot second to roll with blossoming movie star Vincent Chase and his hangers-on.
Thankfully, those of us suffering withdrawal as a result of “Entourage’s” yearlong hiatus (including yours truly) will be glad to know the boys are back on June 11th for an all-new season. And just like last year, HBO has tapped New York-based interactive agency Deep Focus to design and execute the entire online campaign to whet our appetites.
But while rollover video campaigns and the sort constituted season 2′s online push, Deep Focus is going multi-dimensional for season 3 with a marketing blitz, launched just this week, that also co-opts the social networking and gaming worlds. “HBO challenged us to put together a campaign that really took not only the series to the next level, but also the aspects of online marketing that we wanted involved to the next level,” Deep Focus CEO Ian Schafer tells ADOTAS. “They gave us unprecedented access to talent. With all that ammunition at our disposal, we pretty much kicked ass on developing what amounts to a three-pronged campaign for them.”
The first “prong” is essentially comprised of a takeover/contest on MySpace (above), arguably the most fertile soil to sell “Entourage” to both current and potential viewers. “We essentially created a layer on top of MySpace called MyEntourage,” Schafer explains. “Basically, what we do is encourage people to form groups on MySpace of best friends, your entourage. Then, you borrow the skills of the guys in the cast: network, publicize, schmooze, harass, out-pretty every other group in order to get the most friends. So basically, we’re exposing MySpace for what some people feel it is, a popularity contest, and [creating incentives for] it.” Besides the ego boost, the incentives Schafer mentions aren’t too shabby either. “We’re giving away Chryslers to each member of the winning entourage, we’re giving away free trips to LA, cell phones, Xbox 360s, DVDs,” he says. It’s a pretty great prize package.”
So far, so good on the MySpace front. The MyEntourage profile has already nabbed 17,000 friends, and Schafer notes that while the sweepstakes is short-term, the MySpace site itself and Entourage will run continually through the show’s lifetime.
- Pingback from Xbox Wallpapers » Xbox Wallpapers - Deep Focus Turns Entourage Campaign into a Popularity Contest
Leave a Comment
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- Study: Dispop Trumps Google Display Advertising in Side-By-Side Comparison December 11th 2013 ADOTAS – Lest we forget, Google is an advertising company [...] more »
- Rubicon Project Strengthens Senior Leadership Team With Strategic New Hires December 11th 2013 LOS ANGELES, December 11, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Rubicon Project (www.rubiconproject.com), [...] more »
- UPDATED: Is Ex-PayPal SVP The Person Leaving Ginormous ‘Tips for Jesus’? December 11th 2013 ADOTAS — A New York waiter claims that Jack Selby, [...] more »
- Integrate and Silicon Valley Bank Ink $12.5 Million in Secured Financing December 11th 2013 SCOTTSDALE, AZ, December 11, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Integrate, the first [...] more »
- Pixalate Raises $4.6 Million to Bring Free Real-Time Ad Viewability and Fraud Detection to Brands and Agencies December 11th 2013 SANTA MONICA, Calif.,December 11, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Pixalate, a leading [...] more »
- Opera Mediaworks Reveals 6 Biggest Mobile Advertising Trends of 2013 December 11th 2013 SAN MATEO, Calif., December 11, 2013 (ADOTAS — In a [...] more »
- Survey: Effective Content Marketing Requires 10 or More Posts a Day December 10th 2013 ADOTAS – Marketers all have different opinions about how much [...] more »
- SPECIAL REPORT: Ad Fraud and the Anatomy of a Botnet December 11th 2013
- Survey: Effective Content Marketing Requires 10 or More Posts a Day December 10th 2013
- Sharpen Your Marketing Strategy with Accountable Media December 10th 2013
- Female Game Players are Stealing TV Advertising Budgets December 10th 2013
- Media Consolidation Is Revolutionizing Marketing December 9th 2013
- Mgr Channel Planning (Social Media)
- SEO/SEM Analyst
- Manager Planner - Digital Vendor Marketing
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- Why Social Media Will Live Past their “Expiry Dates”: [...] in social media stock prices. In May 2012, Facebook reported a $35 billion loss
- Chris Zaharias: Very interesting data. All respect due to Google for having built and scaled tools for
- Dick Bennett CEO: Richard, I (and my company)have been on this scene for years. We performed the initial
- CimatronE 11 Provides Italian Manufacturer With Major Gun Drilling Efficiencies | contractor-software.us: [...] SPECIAL REPORT: Ad Fraud and the Anatomy of a Botnet Click fraud, pixel-jacking and