Controversial Philip Kaplan Out at AdBrite
Colorful and controversial dot.com site founder Philip Kaplan stepped down as AdBrite CEO, reported CNET News.com yesterday. Kaplan, 30, told the site his decision was made to hand the business to “professional management.” Kaplan is most noted for running the controversial Web site F***edCompany during the dot-com bust.
“I suggested it, and there was no push back,” Kaplan said. “I really wanted an expert to come in and help run AdBrite.” He founded AdBrite in 2004.
Speculation is that AdBrite will announce Ignacio Fanlo, a former executive at an e-commerce site that was lambasted on F***edCompany.com, is AdBrite’s new CEO. Kaplan said he will stay on to oversee AdBrite’s products.
Kaplan emerged as an unlikely player in Silicon Valley with F***edCompany. But last year, hejumped the fence and became an executive.
“I guess back then I never thought it through from management’s perspective,” Kaplan said of his days writing at F***edCompany. “I wrote purely from the perspective of the employees who were getting lied to and ripped off. It came from the employees. Now, I see how hard it is. I understand how a company works from management’s perspective.”
Kaplan says he is not sorry for anything he penned during his days as “Pud.”
“Much of what executives at dot-coms did back then was wrong. I’ll always think it’s wrong to lie to employees. We’ve never done that here,” he said.
During his 18-month tenure as AdBrite’s head honcho, the company was profitless, but it recently received $8 million in a second round of funding, he told CNET News.com. In the past six months, AdBrite has seen the number of publishers offering space to advertisers grow to 16,000. During that time, the company has upped staff size from 25 to 43.
Pud is a good guy, I’m sure that he will stay busy with his music and the other sites that he runs.
Where pud is?
Fact: Fanlo almost wouldn’t come over to Adbrite once he found out who ran it.
Pure speculation: Shutting down FC was a condition for Iggy to take over.
At least he’s not leaving Adbrite to spend more time with his family.
He has gone and FC and AdBrite and everythi else Sierra took over will fail. I hope Pud got $ for his work, cause it has all been taken away.
Remember Pud, read the fine print, or let your lawyer do it. Things like this should not happen to a smart guy. FC was your money maker and you lost it
Leave a Comment
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program December 6th 2013 ADOTAS – Twitter brought its tailored audiences ad program out [...] more »
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising December 6th 2013 ADOTAS — Video marketing company veeseo announced this week a [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’re featuring reactions from industry leaders to yesterday’s [...] more »
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack December 5th 2013 ADOTAS — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports [...] more »
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – While holiday shoppers have been conditioned to believe [...] more »
- Digital First Ventures, RealMatch Partner to Power JobsInTheUS.com December 5th 2013 NEW YORK, December 5, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Digital First Ventures, [...] more »
- Celtra Hires Ex-Adobe Exec Taplin as EVP of Global Sales December 5th 2013 CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – December 5, 2013 – Celtra Inc., the industry leader [...] more »
- Making Holiday Marketing Magic in 2013 December 6th 2013
- 5 New Video Ads You Should Watch Right Now December 6th 2013
- How Interactive Video is Helping Brands Engage with Their Customers December 5th 2013
- Is Putting Digital First Still Paramount for Advertisers? December 5th 2013
- Revenge of the Data Nerds: Who Will Be the Next Heartthrob of the B2B Data Market? December 4th 2013
- Manager Planner - Digital Vendor Marketing
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- Social Media Manager (Part-Time)
- Social Media Manager
- Text Marketing News December 6, 2013 | Text Marketing Companies: [...] veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video … – ADOTAS [...]
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack: [...] — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports of the latest major cyberattack,
- Zimmerman Advertising Has What White Castle Craves – ADOTAS | Zimmerman News: [...] more here: Google Zimmerman News In [...]
- Online Video Quality Matters More Than You Think | Video Industry | OneScreen: [...] so. In fact, branded videos are getting shared 50 times more in 2013 than