PayPal Cashes in with ‘Click-to-Buy’ Service
At last week’s CTIA Wireless conference in Las Vegas, PayPal Mobile announced its plans to turn your cell phone into an ATM. The eBay-owned company has launched a ‘Click to Buy’ service, which will enable mobile users to make payments by simply sending a code by way of text message on their phone. PayPal announced Bravo, MTV, the NBA Store, and 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment as its official launch partners, while many marketers are sure to follow suit and find profitable and creative ways to implement the technology.
The service will solicit existing PayPal users to register their phone number and create a PIN number in order to ensure secure transactions. They will then be able to respond to marketing calls-to-action they find in the form of a number code in print, television, outdoor, or online advertisements. Soon after they respond, they will be asked to confirm the purchase and supply their PIN.
Bravo is using the service to sell kitchen products featured in its “Top Chef” cooking reality show. MTV has already begun offering the newest CD from the Pussycat Dolls through Click to Buy.
PayPal Mobile is also making it easy for mobile users to donate to charity. Currently, their customers can donate to Amnesty International, Starlight Starbright, and UNICEF with their mobile phone.
Thank the marketing gods that I can now donate to a charity from my mobile phone. Talk about a killer app!
- Pingback from Weekly Linkage [04-13-06] at Experience Planner
Leave a Comment
- Mobile Moments, AdTech & Artificial Intelligence
- CONTENTSQUARE LAUNCHES AI-Powered UX PERFORMANCE CENTER
- Goodbye Doesn’t Mean Forever: How To Leverage Omnichannel Marketing For Re-Engagement
- TMBI’s Survey Examines Attitudes Toward Digital Buying
- AffinityAnswers Expands to Germany, UK; AppsFlyer’s New Analysis Tool; SourceMedia Adds Data-Driven Products; more…