Around the World with BBH’s Cindy Gallop, Keynote Speaker, Ad:Tech NY 2005
Cindy Gallop is a mover and a shaker—literally and figuratively speaking.
As BBH New York’s former chairman tells it, she’s been on planes, trains and automobiles practically since birth. “I was actually born in the UK but grew up in Brunei in Borneo,” she explains. “When I was six, my father got a job there, so I actually grew up in Asia. I sort of think of myself as a global citizen in a sense that my father’s English and my mother is Chinese and I’ve traveled very extensively.”
Nothing has changed in the traveling department since Gallop’s childhood either. She’s constructed her career around moving from one place to another, building her formidable advertising credentials along the way.
Surprisingly enough, however, Gallop’s path to advertising success began in the theater department of her alma mater. “I actually ended up in advertising after a bit of a career swerve because I went to Oxford University and fell in love with theater and drama there, and from that angle that was all I wanted to do,” she tells us. “So I actually started working in theater marketing, acting marketing, [and] publicity for various theaters in the UK, and took four years of basically working every hour G-d gave me and earning chicken feet to finally sell out to the establishment and move into advertising.”
Not that it turned out to be such a stretch, since, as Gallop put it, “advertising is a pretty theatrical business in itself.” She made the official move in 1985, starting as a trainee account exec with London creative agency Ted Bates, where she found that the skills she developed in theater marketing were “imminently translatable.”
But Gallop remained restless over the next four years, jumping first from Ted Bates to creative agency J Walter Thompson, and then Gold Greenless Trott (GGT), before finally joining London-based BBH in 1989—where she remained for the next 16 years.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- Survey: Effective Content Marketing Requires 10 or More Posts a Day December 10th 2013 ADOTAS – Marketers all have different opinions about how much [...] more »
- Adobe: Digital Magazine Circulation, Engagement are On the Rise December 10th 2013 ADOTAS — Today, Adobe released data showing significant circulation growth [...] more »
- New Adchemy Software Puts Multiplier Effect On Keyword Search Campaign Revenue December 10th 2013 SEARCH INSIDER SUMMIT, PARK CITY, Utah, December 10, 2013 (ADOTAS) [...] more »
- Exclusive: American Laser Skincare Taps Matomy as Agency of Record December 10th 2013 ADOTAS – Today, American Laser Skincare, a large provider of laser [...] more »
- Unicorn Media’s Dynamic Ad Insertion Technology Enables Video Monetization on Twitter December 10th 2013 TEMPE, AZ, December 10, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Unicorn Media, the [...] more »
- Simulmedia Closes $25 Million D Round December 10th 2013 NEW YORK, December 10, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Simulmedia, a targeted [...] more »
- Fiverr® Launches iPhone App: Puts 3 Million Gigs® in the Palm of Your Hand December 10th 2013 NEW YORK, December 10, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Fiverr®, the world’s [...] more »
- SPECIAL REPORT: Ad Fraud and the Anatomy of a Botnet December 11th 2013
- Survey: Effective Content Marketing Requires 10 or More Posts a Day December 10th 2013
- Sharpen Your Marketing Strategy with Accountable Media December 10th 2013
- Female Game Players are Stealing TV Advertising Budgets December 10th 2013
- Media Consolidation Is Revolutionizing Marketing December 9th 2013
- Mgr Channel Planning (Social Media)
- SEO/SEM Analyst
- Manager Planner - Digital Vendor Marketing
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- CimatronE 11 Provides Italian Manufacturer With Major Gun Drilling Efficiencies | contractor-software.us: [...] SPECIAL REPORT: Ad Fraud and the Anatomy of a Botnet Click fraud, pixel-jacking and
- Cory Grassell: As an addendum to my previous post, I failed to consider Twitter. I suppose that
- Cory Grassell: Ten seems like a bit much. I think you hit the nail on the head
- IOne LocalZimmerman Advertising Has What White Castle Craves » IOne Local: [...] Castle. “They don’t just tackle our marketing problems; they help us continually improve ourbusiness. Zimmerman brought